Thread: Coating for chalk drawings on wood

Coating for chalk drawings on wood

OK - so - next door 6 yr-old girl loves to come to my shop and select scraps of wood to color [I cut down scrap stuff to thin strips just for her, and keep them in inventory for that purpose]. She has an eye for the expensive stuff - gotta admire her taste! - QSWO, QS sycamore, Ipe, walnut, mahog, you name it. Pine, ply, etc don't get it for her.

Beats me why she likes to color wood - but that's my problem, not hers. She hangs out in the shop wearing one of my old tee-shirts as a smock, and creates art. Good enough.

Usually she uses a large selection of sharpie-type things. Today she went after the chalk I use for marking up rough lumber for pre-hack-to-size-before-milling layout.

Idiot Me: "when you are done, I got some magic stuff that will seal that chalk into the wood so it won't rub off."

Turns out that the magic imparted by rattle-can shellac is the magic of making chalk vanish. I don't have a very big fan club, and she is one of them, so I need to not disappoint her. The look in those eyes..........sheesh.

Suggestions? So that I can return to wizard status in the eyes of a lovely 6-yr-old? It is just plain-old chalk [many colors] on strips of wood run through TS or BS.

TIA

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Spray fixative? Check an art supply store.

Blog Entries
    I was initially going to suggest the blackboard paint... pricey, but useful. And then I realized it wasn't a painted surface you were looking to use, but one to protect. Can't help there...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Try a light mist of hair spray before the spray shellac.

Google - lacquer based hair spray.

One of the hits is for "16 uses for grandma's old hair spray". The author confirms using lacquer based hair spray to coat chalk drawings & gives some tips for finding a lacquer based hair spray.

Great story. Hope you find the answer.

Go to an art or artist supply store. They will sell spray cans of "fixative" that is used exactly for what you want to do. Might try a place like Michael's craft store.
    Howie.........