Thread: Telephone Flashers in the Woodshop

Telephone Flashers in the Woodshop

I need some help trying to find a phone flasher for my shop. My shop is wired with a landline phone. It’s connected to 4 other phones in the house. It’s hooked up to ADT with an alarm and a keypad in the shop. Each phone is 1 din. (battery powered) When I started setting up my shop in 2007, Fine Woodworking had an article “Wiring a Workshop”. In the article they had a Telephone Flasher (Fone Flasher 2) . It looked as though the flasher was plugged into an outlet for power. It was from Radio Shack. This flasher is no longer available. The phone flashers I find on Amazon today (Krown PF 200 or the Krown 793) are powered by the phone line. With 5 phones on this single line I am at 5 din. They both say that they are compatible with most phones. Does anybody know whether these flashers will work or are there any suggestions on other phone flashers that actually flash or strobe?

Quote Originally Posted by "Patrick G Rainsberger" View Post
    I need some help trying to find a phone flasher for my shop. My shop is wired with a landline phone. It’s connected to 4 other phones in the house. It’s hooked up to ADT with an alarm and a keypad in the shop. Each phone is 1 din. (battery powered) When I started setting up my shop in 2007, Fine Woodworking had an article “Wiring a Workshop”. In the article they had a Telephone Flasher (Fone Flasher 2) . It looked as though the flasher was plugged into an outlet for power. It was from Radio Shack. This flasher is no longer available. The phone flashers I find on Amazon today (Krown PF 200 or the Krown 793) are powered by the phone line. With 5 phones on this single line I am at 5 din. They both say that they are compatible with most phones. Does anybody know whether these flashers will work or are there any suggestions on other phone flashers that actually flash or strobe?
    Sorry, but you say your shop is wired with a landline, but then say you're the
    5th phone of what I assume is cordless set.

Which is it?

Blog Entries
    Patrick,

Contact Mike Cruz... he posted a thread a month or two ago on this subject and he has a couple of phone flashers in his workshop.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Patrick,

Contact Mike Cruz... he posted a thread a month or two ago on this subject and he has a couple of phone flashers in his workshop.
    If Patrick contacts Mike in private, none of us learns anything from the answer.

Sorry Bill,
    I don't always make myself clear. All of these phones are connected by phone wire. They all come from one wire which travels underground to the base of the telephone pole.

Blog Entries
    Then it's up to Mike to post in this thread... I'm not that magical.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Patrick, I have a phone with flasher in my shop. It is from Radio Shack. It is a cordless phone, and the base/charger plugs into the landline. The base has a large red flasher, and the phone has a small red flasher. I have had this phone for a couple of years, and it works great. I was at Radio Shack the other day and they still have the phone. It is designed for the hard of hearing. The red flasher really gets your attention.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Here is Mike's thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ng-in-the-shop

Thomas, Thanks for the thread from Mike Cruz. There were a lot of good suggestions made. Thank you Bill for the Diagram of the Sonic Alert 55/50. I think I like the idea of a unit with its own power source, instead of relying on the phone wire to provide the REN (not din) to activate the flasher and my five phones. Both the Sonic Alert 55/50 and the Shop Flash G8590 have their own power source. I think I’ll go with one of them. Thanks again for your help.

Okay, if no one tells Mike about this thread, how can Mike help everyone by posting, HUH? Knuckleheads...

Here is the unit I got. Ordered it from Grizzly. Works great with cordless phones because you don't plug it into the phone. It has a "pick up" that you can mount to the wall that will "hear" the phone ring. The trick is that the pick up needs to be right next to the speaker on the hand set. So you may need to shim the pick up like I did.

Here's the link to the unit:

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Flash-/G8590

And here's a link to my thread with pics:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...shop&highlight=

Actally, I found that I needed a little piece of wood behind the pick up to bring it right up against the speaker. Works perfectly now. Actually, this reminds me. I need to order another one of these because I have two phone lines in my shop and only got one for the home line. Gotta go.
    I drink, therefore I am.