Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circular saws and track saws

Circular saws and track saws

I am looking for a solution to a problem... gee most of us are I suppose...
    Anyway I need a good circular saw. I also am in need of a panel saw. I am at a point where I have not ever used a panel saw except for at Home Depot. Circular saw I have used but not ever with a track. It appears I can built a DIY panel saw for around 400 to 500 dollars. I am also looking at the DeWalt DWS520SK track saw setup that I can get new for 399. The few reviews that I have read for the DWS520SK are very, very positive. I am in a basement shop and have to be sort of consertive for room but at the same time I do have room for a panel saw as long as it is on wheels.

The main question I have to anyone that has used or owns the DWS520SK setup is this, is 12 amps enough power? I will mostly be cutting 3/4 inch wood and maybe even some a little thicker maybe up to 2 inches thick. I am wondering if I should get an after market track with a 15 amp saw of choice, the dewalt DWS520SK , or just build a panel saw. I dont work with wood for a living but I do plan on building things as a hobby and I am also redoing a house that was built in the early part of the century and am building alot of built in items. I also plan on after the house is done to still build large items for friends, family and whoever likes my woodwork. With this in mind I am open to opinions, suggestions and thoughts.

Thanks for reading.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I had the same problem you are trying to solve:

1) basement shop
    2) need to cut plywood

The following worked for me:

1) Bought a hilti 267 saw . Great saw, but no longer available. If I was buying today, I would pick up a Makita 5008.

2) bought rail kit from eurekzone http://www.eurekazone.com/content/ez-track-system-118

I break down the plywood outside, and carry pieces down to shop. This has worked out quite well. They have a new product out to rip plywood that looks nice. I will likely pick one up this spring. You may be able to buy this instead of the rail.

http://www.eurekazone.com/content/ez-ripsizer-25

Dino is very helpful, just give him a ring and he will explain some options for the problem you are trying to solve.

This setup eliminated the need for a panel saw in my shop.

Of course, if you really want a panel saw, you can always get one :-)

Just another option for your consideration. There are many ways to accurately slice a sheet a plywood. I wish you luck in selecting the best one for your shop :-)

happy woodworking,
    Mike

+1 On the EZ Smart System. I have a PM66 with slider etc and no longer use it. I really prefer the EZ Smart (Eurekazone) system to the others for several reasons not the least of which is the "anti splinter" strips. These provide a much cleaner cut than either the table saw or the Dewalt system. Make sure that you build the table. It is a brilliant idea that I use all the time. I would get the hardware for it even if I decided on another system.

My $0.02

I'm not sure what volume of cutting you're doing, but perhaps a good circular saw and a couple of homemade guides/jigs will do the trick. I have one that's 54" long and one that's 96" long. Simple construction with a 1/4" hardboard base with another narrower piece of 1/4" hardboard as the guide for the saw base. Glue it up, let it dry, and make a pass with the saw to make a "perfect" edge. Line up that edge on your cut marks, and bingo: wonderful, straight cuts. Make sure it's wide enough on the guide side for in-use clamps to clear your saw.

It's a lot more compact than a panel saw. But it depends on how much plywood you cut down on a regular basis.

Karl, If you're in a walk out basement I'd go for the vertical panel saw. If I was carrying 4x8 sheets down stairs I'd get so tired I wouldn't have the energy to cut them up!
    With only an occasional sheet to cut I'd go for a track saw or homemade straight edge and cut them before going downstairs.
    The problem with track saws is getting repeatable cuts. With a stop or sliding against the bottom fence you get accurate repeatable cuts on a panel saw.

I had a Safety Speed Cut from 1970 to 2005. You get splinter free cuts with good blades. Now in my hobby wood shop, I use a vertical panel saw that I made. I get cutting accuracy of 1/64" straight and square just like my old Safety Speed Cut.

The vertical saws are the way to go for 1 person, if you store your sheets on edge. I can slide sheets thru without scratching veneer faces.

A vertical saw and storage take up less space. You can flip thru sheets on edge with less effort.

One key thing to cut quality on these verticals ,shopmade or mass produced, is to use a saw with no wobble in the bearings. Test for wobble by shaking the blade sideways and feel for play. On a good saw the blade will bend a little but no play.

Festool also has a good system for the guided saw tool. I especially like their dust control and it is the one reason I plunked down lottsa dollars to get into the Festool line. Eurekazone is cheaper I think but I believe Festool still leads the way in dust control (if that is important to you).

I use 2" thick sheets of foamboard (used for insulation) to lay my plywood down on for cutting and I just do it in the driveway or shop floor.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    These provide a much cleaner cut than either the table saw or the Dewalt system.

My $0.02
    Really, I think you may be the first I have heard suggest that the EZ Smart provides a cleaner cut than system tracksaws like Dewalt and Festool which both have anti-splinter strips. It has been my experience that given a equal blade and equal condition of the anti-splitter strips the three are essentially equal.

I went the Festool Track Saw route. The saw produces great cuts with little or no tear out on plywood. It is a little more versatile that the typical panel saw in that it can cut perpendicular to an edge, or, it can cut angles. The Festool and Dewalt track saw systems are also plunge saws. This means that you can easily start or stop a cut in the middle of a board without having to back the saw out of the cut, or lifting the saw out of the cut. I used to use a skillsaw with a home made rail to break down plywood (this was before I had a 50" rail tablesaw or a tracksaw). I was able to get reasonable cuts, but the setup was time consuming (too much measuring) and the quality was marginal. The tracksaws have a splinter guard that corresponds to the edge of the cut you wish to make. So, you mark the endpoints of your cut, then clamp the track with the splinter guard directly on the marks. The cut is made along this line. I actually get better results with the track saw than I do with the table saw on plywood breakdown because I am only handling the tracksaw during the cut, not the entire piece of plywood. The Festool is plenty strong to cut the 3/4" plywood and I would suspect that the Dewalt is as well. I recently cut some 8/4 white oak with the tracksaw with great results and power to spare. In my opinion, unless you are cutting A LOT of plywood perpendicular to the sides, a panel saw is too big and too expensive. This is of course relative to every ones budget and space, but I can not see myself needing one with my current work.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I have the Dewalt Track Saw & I love it . . .

Table Saw quality cuts every time . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

For those with the DeWalt track: does it always need to be clamped down? I'm pretty sure I've never clamped the Festool track; it grips nicely on its own.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-13-2011 at 4:17 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    For those with the DeWalt track: does it always need to be clamped down? I'm pretty sure I've never clamped the Festool track; it grips nicely on its own.
    You do not need to clamp the Dewalt down, but is does get a little slippery on melamine surfaces. On wood surfaces it holds tight. I usually clamp it if I am cutting 1/4 ply because the sheet gets a little floppy.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-13-2011 at 4:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I haven't tried mine on melamine but it is just as "sticky" on plywood as the Festool.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-13-2011 at 4:18 PM.

I use the EZ Smart [Eurekazone] system and have a dedicated circular saw for it. It takes me about 10 minutes to set up my EZ Table, make my cuts, then disassemble the table. All in all a clever system that yields excellent results.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

The festool and makita will work on each others tracks and most of the festool accessories work on the Makita track. Just for the interchangeable aspect, I'd stay with either the festool or makita. I have the TS 55 from festool and it works great.

lots of good info here. I have a feeling that it is going to come down to whatever I get the best deal on, then go and get the other one...lol isnt that how it works...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant