Thread: First Craft Show

First Craft Show

This is a shot of my table at a craft show I did at the beginning of December. Sold a few things and gained some valuable experience. I won't EVER be giving up my day job!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Altberg

I hear you John!
    The best I hope for is to cover the expenses of the show and maybe if I'm lucky a new toy for the turning room.
    Tom

Looks like a nice setup. I have pretty much quit craft shows because most times people are looking for bargins and most times I don't even make my fee's back.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John - I have not ventured into craft shows but you sure had a nice setup! Hopefully you will have better sales next time!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John,
    That's what I hear from everyone not just turners. From Glass artist, Ceramics and even the higher end jewelry artist . . . everyone either wants a deal or "oh I can make that at home" LOL.

We have a few high end shows here locally that you have to get accepted. Most of those artist seem to do good, but they also cost more to enter. Even though I keep hearing this I still would like to do it, if nothing else but for the experience.

You had a very nice setup and your items look great. Are you a member of your local turners club? Mine will go to some of these as a group to sell their items, if nothing else you get to sit with other turners and talk tools .

I started doing indoor, select craft shows this Fall for the holiday season. This is a resort area, so there is a lot of visitors/turnover of shopping types. It's good to get out and meet people, and I do cover expenses and have some left over for new shop toys. This is my first year, so no history for reference, but most of the other crafters say that this is the 3rd year in a row that traffic and sales haved declined.... measurably this year. I can only imagine that it is a reflection of the overall economy and state of affairs. I have access to an awful lot of local wood, and seldom buy it. I promote the idea of local wood use, and price my stuff accordingly. If I had to buy wood for what I turn and sell..... 1) I couldn't afford it, and 2) My prices would be higher and make selling very difficult. I would recommend trying a craft show. They all have their own rules, so be aware.
    And don't quit your day job....

Quote Originally Posted by John Altberg View Post
    ...gained some valuable experience. I won't EVER be giving up my day job!
    That was worth the price of admission!!

John, you should be commended on your display, and some quality turnings. I think the economy is taking its toll on this type of thing, and markets are scarce. We can all hope that 2011 brings a revived consumer interest.