Thread: New forum by request

Thumbs up New forum by request

Several Contributors in the Lumber Yard have requested the creation of a Musical Instruments forum. There are many Creekers here who design, build, and repair musical instruments of all varieties, and we would like to encourage each of you to share your knowledge.

This is exciting for me, as I play several musical instruments, and I'm always impressed by what the folks here are able to produce. Just looking through the SawmillCreek Archive Pictures DVD vol. 1 (Feb 2003-Aug 2009) will astonish you.

Hey turners, do duck calls count as musical instruments?

Well, here it is, let's see how it goes!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    Hey turners, do duck calls count as musical instruments?
    If they bring in the money, they do... 'cause money is music to my ears
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thank you for starting this forum. I have made a simple cajon drum for my daughter. Although I would like to try a guitar someday, I don't know that I actually could do that since I don't play a guitar.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thanks Aaron. I was pretty active here in the turner's forum a couple years back and have been spending the past year making guitars......this is nice!

I'll be hanging around this forum too. If I ever get caught up pn a long list of other things, I need to get back to guitar building...

This could be quite interesting. I would imagine there's some CNC'rs cranking out some awesome electric guitars. I play, and at one time had started to get involved with lutherie, but alas...... life had other plans.
    Thanks for opening this up!
    mj

I've posted a few guitars here. So,I'll be checking in also.

Thank you Aaron.
    I like to follow the topics on making instruments. I'll probably never make a guitar, but the techniques are very useful to learn and apply to other facets of woodworking.

Any way to move the already established threads here? Some of them were very good. I'm thinking of the two threads that chronicled building a hollow body electric.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

+1 on Mike's comments. There are some interesting drum building threads also.

I'm hoping we'll also see flutes, percussion of all kinds, dulcimers, hammered dulcimers, lutes, ouds, pianos and restorations, violins, concertinas, bag pipes, castanets, pipe organs (the wood gear guy has made those out of wood, I believe) etc. With almost 60,000 members, I'll bet there are members that cover all of the above, save perhaps the concertina (though I wouldn't be surprised).

In fact, hammered dulcimers are very easy to make. It might be fun for an experienced hammer dulcimer builder to do a group build like they did for the Morris chair. I would definitely sign up for that!

Help us out!

Any threads you would like to have moved to this forum post the links here in this thread and we can easily move them.