Thread: Sound Isolation and Air Filtration Cleaners in a Basement Wood Shop

Sound Isolation and Air Filtration Cleaners in a Basement Wood Shop

I would like to put an Air Filtration cleaner ( probably Jet or Performax) in my basement wood shop.

I understand that these air cleaners can be set to run for hours after you leave the workshop for the day. My basement wood shop is directly below the master bedroom and any noise would hamper a good nights sleep.

I have been wondering if these machines would allow noise vibration to filter up through the floor joists. Or am I just worrying too much? Should I consider putting in sound isolation on the screw eyes that hold the air cleaner to the joists?

Has any one on here had experience with similar conditions in there basement wood shop?

All advice is welcome

I have the Grizzly G0572 that is attached via mounting boards that are lag bolted to the trusses. There is no noise that is transmitted into the house. I have even been up in the attic directly over the shop with the unit on full blast, I can not hear it at all... I can't say the same for my dust collector though... I typically have to remember to set the timer, I have been known to leave it on overnight. Good clean air, but how much cleaner is it after 8 hours than it was after 2?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have one of those triangular shaped Delta air cleaners hanging off the engineered joists in my shop. The cleaner rings the kitchen floor above like a guitar sounding board so yes be concerned.

I think air filters are fine as secondary dust control efforts but if you really want to solve the dust problem (both in the room and your lungs), you really should try to capture the dust at the source.

Grainger has a large variety of excellent vibration hangers/dampeners so do a search on their website. I used 4 of them to hang my cyclone dust collector.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have a jet air filter below the guest bedroom and it can be heard. but if you set it for 2 hours a 1/2 hour to a hour before you finish in the shop, by the time you get cleaned up and ready for bed it will turn itself off by the time you bed down.

Chris, which vibration hanger did you use....could you possibly supply a link?

Blog Entries
    What better way to drift off to sleep knowing that your shop is still humming...

I have the DustRight 1200 mounted directly to the joists under the kitchen, and I get a little vibration, but I can't hear it running.

My JDS unit is mounted to a piece of 3/4 birch plywood and screwed into the ceiling joists of my basement shop. The ceiling is insulated and drywalled with two layers. It is barely felt when sitting on the carpeted family room floor above. I think you will get some vibration if it is mounted to the ceiling, but only have to let it run for an hour or two after you leave the shop. Can you put the unit on top of a cabinet if you are concerned about transfering noise?

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Negley View Post
    Chris, which vibration hanger did you use....could you possibly supply a link?
    LINK TO GRAINGER

I honestly don't recall which one I used but I'd hazard a guess it was the 5XR56 230 - 310 lb. vibration hanger.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mine's a 93-pound JDS unit. It's hung, by chain, via eye hooks into the floor joists.

I leave it running when I leave the shop.

It's directly below my master bedroom.

I've never heard it, nor felt it.

The first couple nights, I took my Long Ranger remote control (that switches the JDS, remotely) to the bedroom with me, in case. Its range was more than adequate to shut it off, if I needed to.

I didn't need to.

Delta suspended on chains. 12" joists and sheetrock - no vibes or noise. Oneida cyclone on wall - sounds like 747 taking off in basement!

I have the larger Jet directly beneath my bedroom and i cannot hear it at all. I hung the unit from the joist with chains so it is isolated from the structure.

13. Large Delta stel box unit, single "High" setting model, hanging from chains to main joist directly below Master Bedroom (at foot of our bed above it).

No vibration, can barely hear it even though it is loud with only single setting option.