Thread: Need Electrical Advice on Sander

Need Electrical Advice on Sander

I bought a new G9983 sander, and have been working to get it operational. I installed a #8/2 with ground to breaker box with new 40 amp double pole breaker, wired to a 50 amp receptical, and have a plug to match. Problem is I can't find any #8/3 wire for the cord. The machine has a round hole with rubber clamp which squeezes the cord when tightened. Could I get by with a #10 cord for 6' on this machine? Didn't want it hard wired, as it has a door on the right, and need to put it against the wall for space reasons. I have it sitting on a movable base on a double layer of plywood. Used a 50 amp plug as I couldn't find a 40 amp. The book calls for a 35 amp circuit.

I'm not sure if 10 gauge cord would be usable, but you could look for a cord whip for an electric range at the hardware store. Those are usually 6 or 8 gauge. You may have to change out your receptacle depending upon what type you have though.

Jim, your electrical supplier doesn't have 8/3 cabtire?????

Please don't use a range cord, they're only approved for ranges, not for use on other types of equipment...............Regards, Rod.