Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My HF/Thien/Wynn conversions

My HF/Thien/Wynn conversions

The impetus for this project came when I moved to an older home with a long, narrow, low-ceilinged basement. My Delta 50-760 dust collector was now too tall, and I could no longer use it as the octopus at the center of a cluster of power tools. After reading a good bit about central dust collection systems with fixed metal ductwork, I decided instead upon the following priorities for my situation: use the existing 120 volt electrical circuits in my new basement work space; retain the stock 4” dust ports on all of my stationary power tools; achieve adequate efficiency by connecting the shortest possible run of flexible 4” hose to one machine at a time; use high quality filtering; use two stage collection, separated by Phil Thien-type baffles; have a collector at each end of my work space. As you can see in the photos, I got a pair 2hp collectors on sale at Harbor Freight. I purchased .5 micron Nanofiber cartridge filters from Winn Environmental. I replaced the cheap, flimsy HF collector chassis with my own design, which permits me to position the motor above the collector can and connect it directly to the impellor. I am very pleased with the result: no trace of dust in the air from connected tools, changeover to a different tool in about five seconds, quick, efficient dumping of the collector can, and never any need to tend the clear plastic bags, except after occasionally back-flushing the canisters with compressed air to restore their high efficiency. I don’t think there is any system on the market for less than about double the investment I’ve made in these rigs that can equal their performance. If anyone would like to make their own, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer any questions you may have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Howard, thanks for posting this. Your design looks well thought out and well executed. In the last picture, is the frame for your dust port inlet set an angle, or is it just an optical illussion?

Thanks for the inspiration.. Have a Jet DC1100 about to do the same. Hows the performance ?

Thank you for posting this! I'm planning the same rig/orientation for my HF/Wynn and hoping the resulting improvements will help it power a fixed duct system.

I simply cut a 5" dia. hole in the partition, so that the port on the Thien baffle can pass through it. This arrangement presents no problems when emptying the can.

I'm very pleased with the performance. I had stopped trying to use the dust port on my shop-built 24" drum sander because the Delta DC wasn't powerful enough to draw dust through it. This rig draws every speck of dust from the machine.

Howard, just curious, but did you use the DC with the HF supports/base? I'm curious whether the homemade platform out of wood cuts down on some of the vibration/noise of the collector.

I think the noise level is very reasonable now - just the sound of the the motor running and the whooshing of air drawn through the system. I replaced ther HF chassis to make the sytem footprint as small as possible and make the unit easy to roll around, but it has also eliminated noisy vibrations.

Nice work, Howard. I did something very similar last year. I really like how you've replaced the metal frame on the "donut" to get your exact height. Yours looks much more finished than mine.

I noticed a huge improvement in air flow when I mounted the unit in that configuration, but when I put in my Thien baffle I saw most of that improvement disappear. That having been said, I LOVE this arrangement.

Great minds think alike, Cory. I have not tried this without the Thien baffle, so don't know how much efficiency it costs. As a trade-off of efficiency and filtering effectiveness, I think it's as much as can be gotten out of a 2hp DC.

Very nice! I think moving the motor up (so that it blows directly into the bag ring, without that length of flex pipe between the blower and bag ring) makes a huge difference compared to the stock DC.

any opinion on this? does going 6" into the Thien baffle make a big different?

just got a HF 2HP, but am using 4" into and out of my Thien baffle because that was the original design for when I had a smaller DC. now that the HF DC opens the door for 6" PVC, I have been considering if I should at least change to 6" between the Thien baffle and the DC.

that is pretty clever. I can see why eliminating the long length corrugated hose and the 90 degree bend would improve airflow... less turbulence in that design.

I would also think that 6" into the Thien baffle would make a big difference. Did you have 4" before this? Any opinion on this?

I think I read that your hose to your tools was 4"... is that right?

(just got a HF 2HP, but am using 4" into and out of my Thien baffle because that was the original design for when I had a smaller DC. now that the HF DC opens the door for 6" PVC, I have been considering if I should at least change to 6" between the Thien baffle and the DC.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    I have been considering if I should at least change to 6" between the Thien baffle and the DC.)
    You should only bother changing to 6" if you do it EVERYWHERE. Meaning the baffle is 6" all the way through, the ducting is 6" all the way through, and you have 6" ports on your tools. There is very very little advantage to, say, increasing duct size to 6" without increasing the ports on the tools to 6", as well. The system's total airflow is more or less determined by the diameter of the smallest portion of the system, no matter how long of a run that smaller section is.

Great modification Howard, I am setting up my shop now and this gives me great ideas before I install the DC.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I'm planning the same rig/orientation for my HF/Wynn and hoping the resulting improvements will help it power a fixed duct system.
    Victor: I am curious to know what size duct you are going to use??