Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My HF/Thien/Wynn conversions

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Here:

http://www.blastgateco.com/Flex-Hose.htm

I got 20' of it ... at .... [gulp] .... $9.30/ft.

Scuse me. Have to go cry a little, now.

[It's GREAT hose. Worth the money ? Hmm. Is Festool ? Is Felder ?? ]
    I hope that flex hose can make you a sammich...

Nice, George. Saved THAT picture...What I like about the OPs, and Cory's, and Howard's, and George's methods/suggestions is ....
    Just to be clear that I am passing other's, who have more experience, suggestions on, not my own. I'm in the process of building out my shop and am planning DC. My first thought was a grizz 2HP cyclone with 6" PVC piping. I have come to the conclusion that a 3HP grizz single stage g1030z2 with a PT separator fronting it will provide as good or better DC for about 1/2 the cost, specifically since I will be venting not thru a filter but outside. I have a dedicated 36x24 shop and don't need mobility, so designs incorporating solid duct with less with less bends are obviouslt advatageous. The PTS will also provide significant capacity over the cyclone: 55 gal v 35. The savings can then be used to increase dust capture at the source...increasing port size on my DJ-20 jointer, unisaw, etc. with money left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I hope that flex hose can make you a sammich...
    LOL !

It breaks down like this:

Shop is in the basement.

The more dust in the air, the more dust goes up the stairs.

The more dust goes up the stairs, the less happy LOML is.

And ... from time to time ... SHE DOES make me a sammich.

It wasn't that hard to do the math

It looks like you used the standard black abs elbows from Rockler/Woodcraft/Amazon/etc. Check the inside diameter, especially near the apex of the bend. I have found that the ID reduces right at the center of the bend to 2 1/2" to 3" ID. A lot less than the 4" ends. I have been porting (grinding out) the extra material with a 1 1/2" 60g sanding drum on a pnuematic die grinder. I use a short piece of flex with a 4"-shop vac reducer to suck up all the filings while I do it. It does make quite a mess otherwise and I don't what that junk in my DC bag. I think a courser paper would work better for the initial hogging, but I can't find any.

I used the 4" dust separator fittings that Rockler recently developed. Click here: 4'' Dust Separator Components - Rockler Woodworking Tools Their internal ID is the stated four inches, or plenty close enough, throughout their length. I like them because they present a smooth pathway for airflow when threaded together from either side of a mounting panel. The kit includes two pairs of fittings, but that worked for me, since I was building two complete DC's.

Here:

http://www.blastgateco.com/Flex-Hose.htm

I got 20' of it ... at .... [gulp] .... $9.30/ft.

Scuse me. Have to go cry a little, now.

[It's GREAT hose. Worth the money ? Hmm. Is Festool ? Is Felder ?? ]

Look like you could have saved $4.31/ft if you got the "PV"hose. What drove your decision?
    Maurice

If you guys would like to take full advantage of your Thien rigs you have set up, consider converting the lids / dust bins to a side inlet setup. There was a VERY noticeable increase in suction / air flow when I converted mine from 4" x 4" top inlet to 5" x 5" side inlet top outlet. I split out to 2 separate 4" runs just after the drum.

For what it's worth, clear hose is from Penn State, and I like that stuff, the black 5" hose is from Grizzly, and I am wishing I had gotten the PSI 5" stuff instead. The black stuff is slick like a plastic truck bed liner, and VERY hard to keep in one place. I have it clamped AND screwed down to keep it where it belongs...

I have GOT to get up off my tail and do the impeller housing lift like you guys did. That will eliminate several bottle necks...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 03-11-2011 at 1:30 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I've been thinking of doing this with my Jet DC1100. All of my designs would look similar but I was worried about the weight on the end making the contraption tipsy.

How stable is your design? Does it ever feel like it will tip or is unstable at all??

Bump. Anyone that's done this care to comment on how stable it is with the motor mounted on one end?

7- intack pipe and cylinder - Copy.JPG20- atached and ready for coil baffle - Copy.JPG

Very pleased with my build,[ baffle and Bill Pentz design] Some things Ive read, may be of interest.
    The 2hp motor is much more like a 1hp. / Your intake hose should be linear to about 4ft. before reaching drum (with slight downward angle) If going 6 inch pipe you need 3hp or more / it is easier on the motor to leave on rather than ramp, on-off to much / You want some back pressure ( motor shouldn't freewheel to much) as it turns up the amps burns out faster. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The original cart is very flimsy,but your set up looks very clean, congratulations on such a nice build. I disregarded the filter $$$, but was wondering if it is necessary to have such a big bag under filter, seems you could have a tool box / extra hoses in so much room. This is my contraption or the parts that may be of interest.
    Last edited by raul segura; 03-19-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Raul,
    How about a picture of your whole DC set-up?
    Maurice

Maurice, I rebuilt the frame with conduit don't recommend welding the stuff I can give more detail pics if needed.
    X-mas tree stand with bag and hoop at bottom (in can).
    Just noticed the window in the trash can Howard very cool how did you attach it. I thought of placing one just above the baffle as I sometimes get things stuck at end of the slit or hole.Ill have to due the same thanks. Thinking of making a mini with a carpet vac. motor I have.

1- D.C. and its design.jpg
    Last edited by raul segura; 03-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.