Thread: sharpening chisels

sharpening chisels

Following the suggestions of tons of folks, I have begun sharpening my edges on waterstones. Now the problem. It takes awhile to get the stones out, water set up and to begin sharpening. What do most of you do when the chisel needs freshening up? It's a real pain to clean everything off and drag out the stones. I guess some folks keep them handy but I don't have the room to do that.

Ed,

Do you store the waterstones in water?

I store each stone in its own separate plastic container, in water.

I place sandpaper on the counter and place the plastic container on top. I don't have to wait for the water to soak unless I am going to the 8000 stone and then I just have to soak the Nagura stone. The water level is just below the top of the stone to allow the slip to form.

Every now and then, I clean the containers and add fresh water.

TJ

3. sounds like a good opportunity to clean the shop a bit while you are waiting for them to soak up some water. In fact, maybe I need to do some "sharpening" so that I at least spend a few minutes clearing a walking path through the shop.

Make a board (with covers to keep them clean if you like) and mount it permanently on your bench. Keep the stones in a tray next to it.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

TORMEK.. a good friend to have

the little green TORMEK is a good way to go. here's a thread about that if you're sharpening.. Mark (my dad) is really into sharpening.. His chisels are all extremely sharp. see hi thread he started a while back on his Tormek
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5732

I use that wet stone method for my kitchen knives. I got some of those GLOBAL knives. and got a Lee Valley Japanese Sharpening Stone

good luck ya'll
    love makes life happen

Ed, this is my water stone set-up. Each stone is held by a store-bought water stone holder (though wooden ones would do). For the water catching tray, I just cut the bottom off a plastic tub. The holders with the stones rest upon the edges of the plastic tray. The tray was too flexible and the stones wobbled as I used them, so I built a wooden frame and glued the tray into it. I use a spray bottle to keep the stones wet.

I just leave the set-up out on a table, but it could easily be kept in a drawer or on a shelf. It’s easy, compact and keeps all the mess of the table. I don’t have to flatten the stones often, but when I do, I take them into the kitchen and rub them against a diamond plate under running water. When done, I set them on some paper towels and carry them back into the garage. Takes about 5 minutes. (if the photos don't load, I'll try again)
    Attached Images Attached Images