Thread: Popular Woodworking Magazine Rant

Popular Woodworking Magazine Rant

I sent in a card to subscribe to PWW a few months ago and asked them to bill me. OK so I paid them last month and yesterday I received the Nov 10 issue...I sent an email asking where was my Dec 10 issue? Answer comes back today:

Dear Mr Barrett:

Thank you for notifying us that you did not receive your December 2010 issue. This issue is permanently out of stock, so we extended your subscription by one issue to compensate for the one you missed. Your new subscription expiration date is November 2011.

We are sorry that we weren't able to replace the issue you missed. Thank you for subscribing to Popular Woodworking.
    Sincerely,

Amanda Botwin
    Customer Service

I sent them back an email,

"Permanently out of stock? What happened? Was there a fire? I am not very happy about this and will let the woodworking forums know!"

OK, end of rant!!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Barrett; 01-12-2011 at 6:10 PM.
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Blog Entries
    Same thing happened to me a few months ago (same magazine). It wasn't a new subscription, they just missed two months. I sent a letter and got the same response. I complained and got one of them. It really doesn't matter how long my subscription is extended if I don't get the magazine.

I have reached the point where I am not renewing any subscriptions. There is too much repetition, plenty of free info on the web, and Sawmill Creek.

I sent an email off to Chris Schwarz. He replied to me in less than 30 minutes. He apologized and is sending me out a copy tomorrow. That is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

I had the same sort of thing happen to me with Fine woodworking. I sent in a card to subscribe, They sent me 3 back issues in 2 days towards my year subscription. Complained and they extended my subscription 3 months. Later, missed one issue and complained again. Lady on the phone said "Yes" you received it, can't do anything about it. Last money they will ever see from me.

I would like to say I think Popular Woodworking staff is truly dedicated to the craft of woodworking. Their shop is located here in Cincinnati and have been to a few open house events. I think it would beneficial to all woodworkers if we helped to support their efforts.

I do agree, with the invention of the internet ,it seems like woodworking magazines are not necessary. But wonder how much of the information we get here on Sawmill Creek came from a magazine in the first place. Just in the last week a popular discussion was on the sale of Delta tools. That info originated from Popular Woodworking Magazine.
    Would we be talking so much about a tool like the Grizzly 513x2 bandsaw if it were not for a good magazine rating to get a few woodworkers to buy the first few units?
    Something one could debate like what came first, the chicken or the egg.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

What ever you do, NEVER call Chris Schwarz . . . I did, and by the time the conversation was over I ended up buying (3) three of his books . . . . :-)

I think he invented Customer Service . . . . and SALES ! ! !

If I could have only one woodworking magazine I would keep his simply because he truly takes ownership in his magazine . . .

One month for the "newbies" like me & the next month for the highly skilled . . . .

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    I sent an email off to Chris Schwarz. He replied to me in less than 30 minutes. He apologized and is sending me out a copy tomorrow. That is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Jim
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    What ever you do, NEVER call Chris Schwarz . . . I did, and by the time the conversation was over I ended up buying (3) three of his books . . . . :-)

I think he invented Customer Service . . . . and SALES ! ! !

If I could have only one woodworking magazine I would keep his simply because he truly takes ownership in his magazine . . .

One month for the "newbies" like me & the next month for the highly skilled . . . .

Steve
    I sent off and e-mail to Chris very late one night ( 11pm or later) He e-mailed me back in 20 min.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I have sent a few emails to Chris & his response is always fast. He seems like a guy who is not only very knowledgeable, but also loves what he's doing.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    I will keep reading the eZine but I don't need anymore paper mags. I will click on the ads to keep the $$ flowing.

One thing to consider when having problems with subscriptions to any magazine, woodworking or not, is who handles the subscription. Most magazines have contracted this operation out since it involves more than just processing your check or credit card and ordering a second company to mail you the product. The subscription services have pwerful programs and printing setup which also send out renewal notices, bills, and those aggravateing notices which try to get you back after you choose not to renew.

My point is that you generally have better success contacting the magazine itself rather than a service which might handle 20-50 or more magazine accounts.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Customer service is what makes or breaks any business.. I had a problem with a rifle I bought, and was too busy to email the company with a warranty question during the week. I remembered on the Sunday afternoon, so I figured that if I sent an email now, I would probably have an answer on Monday.. I pushed send, and had an answer back from the 'president' of Henry Repeating arms with-in 20 minutes, on a Sunday... That's customer service..Problem solved....
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it