Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4-1/2 Gloat and first shavings.

Blog Entries

#4-1/2 Gloat and first shavings.

Hi all, Thought I would share a gloat. I picked up a Stanley #4-1/2 c type 13 from a fellow Creeker this week... Thanks Matt!

I Received it yesterday and this morning I took the LV Iron out of my #7 and put it in the 4-1/2. I had to do a bit of sharpening to remove the camber that was in the Iron, but that was no big deal. The tote has been repaired and it a bit crooked where it was glued but is strong and fits the hand well... I recently found a guy locally that imports cocobolo, I may have to go visit him and get some cocobolo and make a new knob and tote for it and another plane I have.
    If I had done a little more work to the iron I could have gotten completely full shavings, but the test board I was using was 2-1/4" wide and I was getting shavings that tapered off right at the edges. I was also able to take a shaving about 2" wide and about .75 of a thousandth.
    Enough for the chit chat, here are a few pics!

Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Awesome. And nice shameless plug for your Veritas inset vise...

Wow that looks way better than my first shavings! What kind of wood is your test board?

Blog Entries
    Ha ha I didn't even notice it in the picture, I definitely like the vise, though I am noticing that the dog likes to cam up a bit, seems to be do the the slight angle on the face. so far it has been no issue... We will see how it does in the long run, but it seems very strong and holds very well even when scrub plaining 12" cherry.
    Andrew Gibson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    Wow that looks way better than my first shavings! What kind of wood is your test board?
    It's my first shavings with this plane, not ever... :}
    I am not sure what the wood is, I scrounged it out of a fellow woodworkers burn pile. I think it is beech... if your going to take a gloatworthy shaving, do it in a wood that is easy to plane

The surfice on the board looks like glass now.
    Andrew Gibson

Blog Entries
    Nice gloat. My #4-1/2 is a bit of a thin soled old dog, but it is still one of my favorite planes.

Many times handles that come my way in that condition can be repaired by sawing along the old fix and then using a plane to realign the handle pieces. Sometimes a shim of rosewood is inserted if too much material is removed when getting the "broken" faces to line up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've been looking for a 4 1/2 too; wonder how I missed this deal?! Looks like a winner, good for you!! I guess I need to be more attentive to the classified forum.

Back to e-Bay for me!

Bill

Blog Entries
    Bill this one never made it to the classifides, I mentioned I was keeping my eye out for one in a thread and I got a PM. Hopefully the same will happen for you

Hmm, Bill from NPR... Do I know you?
    Andrew Gibson

Andy let me say that you suck for posting pics of the beautiful weather
    I'm freezing my butt off here in GA and dont want to think of what its like up north..
    I'm glade your enjoying the shavings it is a special feeling..

The trick is to make them when you really need one, your already under size on thickness and need a good shaving thats the ticket..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    Andy let me say that you suck for posting pics of the beautiful weather
    I'm freezing my butt off here in GA and dont want to think of what its like up north..
    Tell me about it Johnny. We have been iced in all week. We can't drive into Atlanta. I've been away from my office since Monday and this stuff isn't going to melt until Saturday.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Blog Entries
    Nice weather? I don't think it hit 55* today, the oranges and Strawberries are really feeling this cold snap... should be 30* tonight

Andrew Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Isaacs View Post
    I've been looking for a 4 1/2 too; wonder how I missed this deal?! Looks like a winner, good for you!! I guess I need to be more attentive to the classified forum.
    Sorry about that--I didn't see the thread where you asked for one, so you didn't get a PM. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    Sorry about that--I didn't see the thread where you asked for one, so you didn't get a PM. ;-)
    No worries, Matt. Thank you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Nice weather? I don't think it hit 55* today, the oranges and Strawberries are really feeling this cold snap... should be 30* tonight
    Bah. I suppose you're one of the Floridians that think 55 is too cold for swimming? I don't think I've seen 30 as a high for the past 3 weeks.

I'm in the snow/ice frozen slush too. However, my new grandson Henry was born Monday. He's a shaving off a shaving so to speak ! Hoot!

Anyway, that's a nice 4 1/2 and a good shaving. Sub thou shavings on a smoother means it's as good as it needs to be and good as it gets too.
    I only have a Clifton #3 and no 4 1/2's. I've got a japan ease kana that's almost that wide but it brings to the question, do you have any problems with how much thrust you need to get the 4 1/2 to work right? The Clifton and a couple of #5's set up like David Charlsworth's 5 1/2 some times leave my right shoulder sore as a dog in a beauty parlor.

I've noticed that if I use the #3 and alternate with the polishing kana, my shoulder lasts longer. I think it's the pushing and then the pulling makes the joint adjust it's self.

Enjoy the shavings !