Thread: #6 and #7

#6 and #7

Here are turnings #6 and #7 that I did over the holidays. #6 is simple maple HF with walnut trim.

The design of #7 goes to Kevin Neelley at turnedwood.com. I've been wanting to try a segmented piece and just followed his example. I had scraps of the maple, walnut, and purple heart in the shop. I had no idea how much work it was going to be to cut, sand, and glue 169 individual pieces to make the form. Also, if you've never turned purple heart, I learned real quickly how hard this wood is. it would dull the tools in a matter of a couple of minutes. More than once I had a grab that launched the piece off the lathe and through the shop. I can't believe it was still in one piece...

Sorry for the crummy pictures. My digital camera wasn't working, so I had to use my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. WoW! That is two great turnings! I like them both...............thanks for sharing with us!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Those are very nice, I really like the 2nd one, I love the collar of darker wood on it.

Nicely done on both forms. BTW, there's nothing simple about that maple... That's gorgeous wood.

Those are some very nice turnings. I really like the color combo of the first one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work. More patience than me.

I like them both. The segmented one has a nice choice of colors and the maple one is not to shabby either!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Not bad for a cozy afternoon in the shop! The segment really draws me in...probably because they is not a chance I'll ever do anything like that!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Clark, nice work on the segmentation, but I would have to say I like the other piece better. I think the form is somewhat better. You should be proud of both pieces!!

Nicely done on both. You done good!

Very nice! When you get your camera up and going please send us some more photos.

What a great combination of colors. Beautiful turnings.
    faust