Thread: Insulation for daylight basement walls & an insulation / electrical wiring question

Insulation for daylight basement walls & an insulation / electrical wiring question

I'm setting up shop in our daylight basement. The exposed walls do not have insulation and I'd like to change that, but I really don't want to add drywall over the insulation (per fire-codes). Are there any easy options for me, or am I stuck with adding drywall?

Question 2: I'm also adding electrical to these walls. Do I need to put the insulation between the wire and the outside face of the wall, or between the wire and the inside area? Does it even matter per building codes? The point of my question is this: I'm still a month or two from finishing the electrical runs, but I would like to insulate NOW. And, after this week of sub-freezing weather, I really mean NOW!!! By insulating first, will I be setting myself up for a lot of trouble?

Thanks,
    Jay

PS: I'm only insulating the exterior / exposed walls. I'm not going to insulate the concrete walls just yet.

How about using OSB for the interior side ?

Lots of advantages. Can be "prettied up" with a skim-coat, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    How about using OSB for the interior side ?

Lots of advantages. Can be "prettied up" with a skim-coat, if needed.
    While I'd rather not do anything with it, I could live with OSB. Does it provide the fire-resistant barrier required by code? (Does code really dictate a fire-resistant material, or am I misunderstanding things?)

Hello Jay. First off, I have no idea as to what a daylight basement is, so I will assume that it is a standard in-ground basement with short windows at ground level.

If it were my project and physically possible, I would build 2x4 stud walls that were flush against the outside basement walls. Attach a 2x4 plate to the ceiling and on the floor. Then put standard 2x4 studs between them.
    Second, run your electrical as you need. Third, spray foam insulate the 2x4 and concrete wall to insulate. Fourth, drywall the new studded wall..

If your basement is large enough, 2x6 studs would be better.

If your basement is subject to being damp, handle that problem before anything else.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    While I'd rather not do anything with it, I could live with OSB. Does it provide the fire-resistant barrier required by code? (Does code really dictate a fire-resistant material, or am I misunderstanding things?)
    OSB exhibits characteristics typical of other
    wood-based panels including similar thermal
    and vapor permeability factors. OSB panels also
    are approved by national fire codes for use on
    exposed walls and floors where fire performance
    is required. When used as a partition wall in fire
    tests, OSB performed equal to plywood of
    equivalent thickness.

Sounds promising

ByTheWay: it doesn't take you *too* far off-topic, but ... there was a great SMC thread about interior walls for a shop:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Drywall-or-OSB

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Hello Jay. First off, I have no idea as to what a daylight basement is, so I will assume that it is a standard in-ground basement with short windows at ground level.

If it were my project and physically possible, I would build 2x4 stud walls that were flush against the outside basement walls. Attach a 2x4 plate to the ceiling and on the floor. Then put standard 2x4 studs between them.
    Second, run your electrical as you need. Third, spray foam insulate the 2x4 and concrete wall to insulate. Fourth, drywall the new studded wall..

If your basement is large enough, 2x6 studs would be better.

If your basement is subject to being damp, handle that problem before anything else.
    Hello Ken
    Speaking in Southerneese, a daylight basement is usually buried on one side, partially to mostly buried on two more, and then open to the remaining side. My house is built at the top / on the side of a hill, so my basement has a door in to the back yard. This is the wall that I want to insulate, along with the partially buried walls along the sides of the house. The poured concrete walls that are below ground level are not my primary concern.

I've got 2x6 studs along all of the "exposed" wall areas.

I really didn't want to put too much work in to the walls as this is only shop & storage area. For now... I have no idea what the future holds, and really don't want to undo a bunch of stuff down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    ByTheWay: it doesn't take you *too* far off-topic, but ... there was a great SMC thread about interior walls for a shop:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Drywall-or-OSB
    Nice! I really hadn't considered OSB, but that does look pretty promising!

Blog Entries
    I would install all of the electrical first and then call in an insulation contractor to spray cellulose into the stud cavaties, and then cover it with OSB, followed by paint. Insulation guys are hurting for work and you might be surprised at the pricing. Spray foam would be great also, but likely more expensive. But in the south, you don't need the performance of foam or cellulose in a basement area, so you could just DIY install R-13 fiberglass over the electrical wires.