Thread: Punch for square pegs.. lots of pics.

Punch for square pegs.. lots of pics.

I am building an island counter top for a builder. He wanted me to dress up the edges a bit .. make it look like it had bolts running through.. which it does not .. So I decided to put black 1/2 x 1/2 squares in the edges..

I got this set of " Greene and Greene " punches from Lee Valley.. I first read about them on Darryl Peart's blog on his website..

That punch is 1/2 x 1/2.. The set is 3/16" thru 1/2 ".. I also got the sharpening cones which could be used on my hollow mortising chisels..

Basically, I just drill a hole, 1/16" smaller than 1/2" .. Then hammer in the punch, completely covering the hole.. The punch is razor sharp and easy to insert. .

The Punch is also very easy to remove.. I thought it would be stuck, but it was not..

It took about 10 seconds to clean out the hole with a 1/4" Chisel.

I cut the square stock off with a Japanese flush trim saw..

I have to say.. These punches work very well.. They are hammered in .. built tough.. strong etc..

I kinda wish the body was square.. The biggest trick seems to be keeping them square, and wonder if a square body could be easier ..

The punches are made in Canada by Lee Valley.. I believe Darryl Peart helped design them.. He does a lot of this type of work..

That looks like a great application for worn out mortiser chisels.

Rick,

I'm not sure if you saw this video or not, but Darrel explains exactly how to use these punches. It might help you to keep it square to the work. I was contemplating getting a set of these chisels as well. It looks like they work well and are a quality tool.

Thanks for the review and good looking counter top. Show a pic after it's finished if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    That looks like a great application for worn out mortiser chisels.
    I believe that's where the inspiration for those punches originated...woodworkers using old hollow mortising chisels.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

That's a nice island, btw. I'm in the middle of such a project, and I am jealous of your clean lines...

Rick, thanks for the information on the punches. I've been looking at them and am glad to know how easy they are to use.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Thanks for posting the video.. I watched it and it makes sense.. If I do this again on a counter top, I will not router the edge until after the squares are cut.. I dont think I have drill bits that size that are not brad point..

If you want these to look like old bolts, why not leave the stock about 1/16" longer than needed and bevel all exposed edges slightly then glue and tap them into place? It would really
    look real bolts then instead of square pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    If you want these to look like old bolts, why not leave the stock about 1/16" longer than needed and bevel all exposed edges slightly then glue and tap them into place? It would really
    look real bolts then instead of square pegs.
    I think he is going for a Greene & Greene inspired look. A sample piece with multiple examples of G&G details:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CFsQ9QEwBg

Thanks for the informative review, Rick. Nice job, too.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH