Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Tasty versions of horrible foods

Thanks to Curt, I've now crossed Utah off of my list of places to see. The jello/carrot/cottage cheese deal is more than I can stomach. I could take the funeral potatos, but the jello salad is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    If you've ever been to any kind of gathering in Utah that involves "potluck" food then you have to know about green Jello with carrots, frog eye salad, and funeral potatoes. Utah leads the world in per capita consumption of Jello. The most common is the green (lime) jello with shredded carrots in it, sometimes they add cottage cheese too. That gives it a weird pastel green color with the chunks of cheese and the carrots. Frog eye salad is some kind of a combination of acini di pepe pasta, marshmallows, pineapple, marachino cherries, and shredded coconut. I don't know the rest of what's in it but I love the stuff. Then the funeral potoatos (I guess they got there name because someone always brings them for dinner after a funeral) is frozen hash browns mixed with cream of chicken soup and sour cream, covered with shredded cheese and corn flakes and baked. They're pretty good eating. I'm not a real world traveler but those three things seem to be pretty imbedded in Utah culture.
    Leave out the carrots and I'm guessing Georgia ranks second in states that make "salad" with Jello. Here it is just called congealed salad and is usually strawberry with cottage cheese and some other stuff. In my family we call it "Chenille Salad" because that's what my grandfather always called it - he hated the stuff and my grandmother was the queen of such concoctions.

"Funeral Potatoes" are also common in Mississippi, but here in Georgia they are called "Sin Potatoes" or just hash brown casserole. I think calling them Sin Potatoes makes them tastier.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Ohhh, ohh, I missed one, related to the grits.

There's one other way I like my grits. With butter and syrup. And that brings up a horrible food, "pancake syrup", and the wonderful real thing, maple syrup. Real maple syrup.
    It's a good thing I just had breakfast (corned beef hash & eggs). There may be a better wintertime breakfast than blueberry pancakes with real blueberries, real maple syrup and country ham. I haven't found it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It's a good thing I just had breakfast (corned beef hash & eggs). There may be a better wintertime breakfast than blueberry pancakes with real blueberries, real maple syrup and country ham. I haven't found it though.
    Chocolate chip pancakes, maple syrup, country ham.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Chocolate chip pancakes, maple syrup, country ham.
    Gotta be a female/chocoholic (redundant?) thing