Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tasty versions of horrible foods

[QUOTE=Lupe Duncan;1610286]
    Won't touch SPAM, it's an acronym you know, stands for
    Squirrels, Possums And Mice. Yuk, makes me Ralph.
    Actually the acronym is "Some Parts Are Meat"!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Grits are unheard of in Canada.. The only place I have ever encountered them is in the U.S below the mason/dixon line.. They always seemed like something a little gritter than cream of wheat, but basically the same! Oatmeal, now that's something else.. Anyone of Scottish descent knows that 'good' ootmeal should be thick enough to stop a bullet!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

is the MASON-DIXIE line the southern border of Kentucky or the Northern border ? I can get Grits at my local Waffle House in Northern KY

There was a time long ago when Pop Tarts WERE good. It was 30-40 years ago. The frosted cardboard filled with tasteless paste they sell now are not Pop Tarts. Frosted Blueberry were always my fav, toasted till the edges were golden and slathered in butter. Yum. siiiiiiigh, just a memory now.

My hubby likes grits (we're Yankees relocated to Virginia) with butter and sugar and who knows what else he puts in them. Never liked em myself. But, I love a good home-cooked biscuit with gravy! It took me years and some good local recipes to master, but I make a mean one myself now. I don't care much for sausage gravy, though. I make mine with chipped beef. A local restaurant here even sells tenderloin gravy, now THAT is good!

I also make a home-cooked corned beef and cabbage for hubby on St. Patty's day. I'm not a big fan of corned beef or of cabbage, but the recipe I use even I like.

Haggis!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuixJaAia84

Now THAT's a haggis.

I like a good fresh corned beef hash. I'm not sure who decided to add beets to it and call it 'red flannel hash', but ewwww! As far as grits goes, I hardly ever have them, but being a Vermonter I like mine with maple syrup (real only!).

It been a while since I been down there by road, but the northern border was the line back in the 60's Wasn't it a North/South War thing a hundred years previous?
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Well, I guess I'll be the lone gunman in support of Spam! I haven't had any in a few years (ok, it just isn't that great for you but, c'mon, slathering stuff in salt and butter isn't either but I digress...) but as a kid, I had quite a bit.

When my father would drag my brother and me up to the Colorado Rockies for firewood 3-4 times per summer, we'd bring along bread and Spam and just eat it like that. Vienna sausages would often accompany it as well.

Otherwise, I'd most often pan fry it and eat it with ketchup. Absolutely delicious!! Hmmm, I may just have to pick up some this weekend but as soon as I twist my wrist and read the label, I usually put it back....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-26-2011 at 4:21 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Spam is #1 in Hawaii and was in east Oakland in the 50-60's.It's good stuff, I sneak a can or two in with the packages to my boys overseas, they love it even if it is against the rules.
    Sheepherder bread, Mayo,fried spam and a slice of pineapple. top off with a pint of stout. Goooooood eats

I've heard that Kentucky Jelly tastes pretty bad

My wife makes outstanding corned beef.

I don't recall anytime that Pop Tarts ever tasted good.

My Dad taught me how to eat grits as a child. Grits, butter, salt and over easy eggs all mixed together.

Oatmeal is not a favorite but instant is as good as cooked.

Way back we used to eat fried mush with butter (actually margerine) and syrup.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sauerkraut. I always hated sauerkraut. Then business took me to Germany. I hadn't had kraut since I was a kid, but to be polite I tried some. It was AMAZING. I loved it!

On my first day back from 2 months in Germany, what were they serving in the cafeteria at work? Sausages with kraut! I asked the guy behind the counter for a plate of kraut. He looked at me like I had two heads. Shoot, that's how they do it in Germany. Anyhow, I tasted it and it was AWFUL, just like I remembered from my childhood.

Kraut, properly down, starts with the bag of cabbage, but then gets cooked with ham, allspice, bay leaves, maybe some apple juice and some brown sugar. It is wonderful when prepared as they do in Germany. My wife lived in Germany for a year, and she makes our kraut now. This is definitely a case where the proper preparation makes all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Sauerkraut. I always hated sauerkraut. Then business took me to Germany. I hadn't had kraut since I was a kid, but to be polite I tried some. It was AMAZING. I loved it!

On my first day back from 2 months in Germany, what were they serving in the cafeteria at work? Sausages with kraut! I asked the guy behind the counter for a plate of kraut. He looked at me like I had two heads. Shoot, that's how they do it in Germany. Anyhow, I tasted it and it was AWFUL, just like I remembered from my childhood.

Kraut, properly down, starts with the bag of cabbage, but then gets cooked with ham, allspice, bay leaves, maybe some apple juice and some brown sugar. It is wonderful when prepared as they do in Germany. My wife lived in Germany for a year, and she makes our kraut now. This is definitely a case where the proper preparation makes all the difference in the world.
    If you could post a full-ish recipe, that would be awesome. I have tried to mimic the taste of real German sauerkraut a bunch of times. But I have never been able to reduce the acidity that makes generic American sauerkraut so unpleasant without it becoming bland.

Recipe. LOL. We don't use those

Let's see. Start with some ham of your choice. Chop it up, toss it in a sauce pan or pot and brown it a bit. Put the kraut in your ham pan. Don't put all the kraut juice in there if you want it less acidic. Then toss in some allspice berries (or grind it up if you wish, but usually leave them whole), some bay leaves and some brown sugar. Also put in a little apple juice.

If you do all of that it will be good.

Now for the variations:

1) add carraway seeds (I don't like this, but most do)
    2) replace allspice with pepper corns.
    3) add onions (I like this one!)
    4) replace ham with bacon
    5) replace apple juice with beef bullion and red wine
    6) add a potato, grated
    7) add garlic

So a popular variation would be:

chopped bacon in a pan
    add onion, garlic, boulion, brown sugar and caraway seeds to the bacon
    add grated potato
    Simmer and add red wine and black pepper
    Add the kraut and keep simmering until yumminess is achieved.

Think of it like the kraut is noodles, and you're making a tomato sauce for the kraut. Now leave out crushed tomatoes! What you have left is that yummy base that you start the sauce with, and that can be just about anything. When that's cooked, you add the kraut and let all the flavors combine. If you think in those terms, you can come up with all sorts of great variations and they will all be good. My variation is healthy and works well on its own or with sausages. The second one I gave is very flavorful and really stands on its own very well. It wouldn't go so well on a hot dog, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Recipe. LOL. We don't use those
    Let's see. Start with some ham of your choice.
    Now wait! What do I do with the cabbage? Just chop it into fine strands? Does it have to age?

Potted meat is, I'm sure made from spilled or drop things on the killing floor - the stuff is ground up fine and cooked with lots of grease and fat. I would not touch it ------ except when it is mix with eggs and scrambled, then spread on white bread with Miracle Whip. I swear it then becomes the food of the gods. I get a craving about once a year - it's my only comfort food.
    Never pass up the chance to use a hand plane.