Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 607c value..

Stanley 607c value..

If it is in very very good or rather near perfect original condition what is it worth.

Thank you for help...
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-12-2016 at 9:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Patrick,

The best way to determine this is to look at completed sales on ebay. Next would be to subscribe to monthly sales notifications like one from Patrick Leach at:

http://www.supertool.com

The desirability also has a lot to do with value. Round side, early, Bedrock planes are not as desired as the later flat top sided planes.

"Near perfect original condition" would be with zero loss of japanning, no visible rust or pitting. If it has the original box that is a big plus for some collectors.

Are you looking at one to purchase, do you have one to sell or are you just curios?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looking to buy one...

gottah act fast i think.

seller is asking $150

sole jas been lapped otherwise it is all original. Looks near new in pictures.

I would be shocked if it has no pitting. I see no visible rust.

i guess it was manufactuered between 1923-1926...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Patrick,

The best way to determine this is to look at completed sales on ebay. Next would be to subscribe to monthly sales notifications like one from Patrick Leach at:

http://www.supertool.com

The desirability also has a lot to do with value. Round side, early, Bedrock planes are not as desired as the later flat top sided planes.

"Near perfect original condition" would be with zero loss of japanning, no visible rust or pitting. If it has the original box that is a big plus for some collectors.

Are you looking at one to purchase, do you have one to sell or are you just curios?

jtk

Blog Entries
    In my opinion $150 is the medium to full retail price. Some have sold at or near that price on ebay. My patience, frugality and willingness to wait for a deal tends to keep me from paying retail. Then again, my happiness of plane ownership and using is fulfilled with Bailey style planes which are much easier to find.

If someone has lapped the sole, you will want to check it for flatness. Both side to side and over the length. It is very easy to mess up the sole of a plane lapping it if one doesn't know what is involved.

Also check for signs of repainting.

Bedrock jointers are fewer and further between. Being from the SW era will have collectors drooling.

If you do purchase it, post some pictures.

If you want to see my bargain basement #7:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-13-2016 at 1:55 AM. Reason: added some and wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thank you for the help Jim.

How can i tell if the sole is flat Jim.

Would the machined surface of a level work or the cast table of a machine would be best i suppose. Im going to be at a random persons house so i have to bring along whatni need to check it...

Regular plane soles are much cheaper and make very little difference in actual use IMHO.

OTOH kind of jealous that you might be getting a 607C....I have a very nice #6 and a Wooden #8, but do not currently own or use a #7...something I need to rectify.

Blog Entries
    If we want to gloat . . . . .
    I have a 5 1/2 Bailey and a 607 Bedrock.
    Actually, I use the 5 1/2 more than the 607. I don't know why, I just do.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If we want to gloat . . . . .
    I have a 5 1/2 Bailey and a 607 Bedrock.
    Actually, I use the 5 1/2 more than the 607. I don't know why, I just do.

Been thinking about a 5 1/2 myself, it seems like a useful size, not sure why more people do not sue them.

4 jointers.jpg
    No.6c T-10 and three No. 7s.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    No.6c T-10 and three No. 7s.....
    And just so we are clear.... If Mr. Newman owns it, it is highly probable that it is a very nice user as well! he took an unusable plane I still need to sell for a neighbor and made it very usable.....

<tip hat to Steve>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Been thinking about a 5 1/2 myself, it seems like a useful size, not sure why more people do not sue them.
    The #5-1/2 is an uncommon size, a rare find in the wild. The early models have an odd sized blade at 2-1/4". It really isn't much different in size from a #6. My #6 gets used more often than the #5-1/2, most likely because it is on a more convenient shelf to grab. Plus one of the #6s has a Hock blade installed. Most of the time a #6 is used in place of a longer jointer.

jtk

I picked up a flat side 607 off Craigslist for $110. I believe the seller was asking $130 but I made the offer via email and he accepted. I picked up the plane from the seller at his workplace parking lot. He told me he had bought it for his brother but apparently there was no interest. It had a replacement cutter which I replaced with a Hock iron that I had on hand. It works very well and I don't think I've ever tested for flatness with a straight edge.

Thats a good price if the condition is as good as it sounds. Very hard to find an old plane in that condition, esp the larger ones which seem to take more abuse. I would buy it if you need one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The #5-1/2 is an uncommon size, a rare find in the wild. The early models have an odd sized blade at 2-1/4". It really isn't much different in size from a #6. My #6 gets used more often than the #5-1/2, most likely because it is on a more convenient shelf to grab. Plus one of the #6s has a Hock blade installed. Most of the time a #6 is used in place of a longer jointer.

jtk
    My 5-1/2 has the 2 1/4" iron. You are correct that it is about the same size as a #6. I have a #6 that is from the 1950's. I don't use the #6 that much, I prefer the 5 1/2.

Well i got the plane..

I have tried three times now to upload pictures and each time i have gotten a jpeg failed message.

I will keep trying.