Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Transformation

If you decide to go the replacement garage door route, get windows in the garage door. Another upgrade you may want to look at is either skylights or skytubes that will bring in even more natural light, if practical.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Greiner View Post
    I've heard both, don't screw into the block, and don't screw into the mortar. At this rate I'm wondering how anyone attaches anything to cinderblock.
    Most of the houses in Florida are built with cinder block and the interior walls are always furred out for drywall. They have done it for years with wedge shaped concrete nails. Screws should be gentler. I am sure the interior of your house is done the same way. Some are in the block and some probably hit the mortar.
    Last edited by glen pickren; 01-22-2011 at 11:22 AM.

+1 on the split ac system. Here is an example I have good luck with at work for a similar application. Low maintenance, fairly efficient, and the heat pump option would serve your needs well.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...t_ac/split.asp

I also have installed an Ideal (Clopay) 2" thick insulated door in my garage. Provides an R-19 insulating factor and is amazing compared to my old hardboard and wood framed door. Bought at Menards and installed myself for less than $900 with the fancy windows SWMBO required. Even the windows are double paned, high R value units.