Thread: Sanding & Finishing Floors

Sanding & Finishing Floors

What do you guys think of the Dura stain/sealant combo. Traditionally, most would stain and then seal.
    Thanks,
    EG

Ed, I never liked an all-in-one anything. I can't comment on the product because I haven't used it. However, Dura Seal is on my home floors and it's in it's eighth year and looks good. But, a word of caution to anyone staining their oak floors. I have seen several and while it looks good new, the older ones look awful. The stain doesn't penetrate deep enough and the white oak bleeding through scratches isn't very attractive. Sometimes floors are in pretty bad shape and staining may be the only answer to hide blemishes. But I would think staining separately and then applying the clear coat is a better way to go. Whatever you decide, good luck.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

If your talking about Duraseal stains, which is a Minwax company. I would still go the traditional route with that product. And the majority of the pros water pop the floor before staining. So stain, seal, buff, coat, buff and coat.
    Last edited by Ryan Schuette; 01-18-2011 at 12:27 AM.