Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Bench Finished

Work Bench Finished

Hi everyone, well it looks like a lot of us are working on workbenches, here is my contribution.

I used the Shop Notes Issue 65 & 66 plans, pretty much as presented in the issues. I used Miller Dowels instead of a spline to attach the aprons. Used Hard Maple instead of Oak (couldn't find wood wide enough to cut out the parts and keep waste to a minimum).

I pegged the end panels into the legs in addition to gluing them, no wracking!

After my ill fated first attempt on laminating up the top, the second one came out dead flat.

I have a very short jointer so milling out the skirts was a bit of a challenge. After I got them attached to the top I did a bit of cleaning up with a hand plane, using the top as a reference, everything turned out flat and square.

The instructions for installing the Veritas twin-screw vice were very detailed, I followed them to the letter and didn't have any problems with alignment.

I had some scrap birch ply kicking around the garage, so I used that instead of MDF for the cabinet backs, and then applied the faux framing. For a bit of whimsy, I painted the top of the cabinets red, I think it makes a nice accent.

This is the first part of my "clean up the garage and make a better working environment" project!

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another Picture

I'm going to have to practice if I'm going to keep the pic policy happy! Here is, I hope, a shot of the front
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is very nice. So, when will you be delivering it to my shop?

BTW, you're a little late posting this. The date in the picture says Sept 1999.

Camera Date

Can't put anything over on this group, wife gave me her "cast off" old camera, obviously I have to correct the date! This was a December 2004/Jan 2005 project

You made that thing in 2 months??? Geez Louise, it would take me a year to make something that large and well crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Can't put anything over on this group, wife gave me her "cast off" old camera, obviously I have to correct the date! This was a December 2004/Jan 2005 project

That's an absolutely beautiful bench! I'm sure you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.

I really like it! Beautiful and with style! You will use it well!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jay,

A beautiful bench. The curves of the apron & stretchers give a graceful appearance........WELL DONE!!

I'm cleaning up my messy shop for the same resolution --and better workflow!!

Great JOB!!

Jay, that turned out great! I really like the "stylistic" design of this bench, both for the cabinetry and the way the aprons approach the end vice. Very kewel!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jay,

Did you use the LV "bench bolts" too,,, or use your own system??

And.......what are you dimensions?

Aw man some of you guys make my desk top slab mounted on an old Singer sewing machine treddle frame look so sad... Wait a minute, it's sad no matter what! Beautiful job!

Thanks for all the kind words! It was a fun project and I saved a ton of $ over a commercial bench with the same size/capabilities. I can't even think about all the decisions/calculations I would have had to made if I had started from scratch with my own design. The ShopNotes plans were generally dead on, I had to route out a pocket for the side vice to clear the cabinet, but other than that things went together pretty much as illustrated in the plans,

Ray, yes I used the LV bench bolts, the bench top is 75" x 27". It stands 35" tall, and weighs a ton! The top is a three sheet MDF lamination

Jay

Outstanding job!! You shold be proud and enjoy even more now your time in the shop. Great work!!
    Jerry

Jay,
    As most every one has said the same things I would have about how pretty and functional the bench is I'm going to skip that part and ask some questions.

1: Is the top covered with something or just MDF. What about damage to the top most piece of MDF if not covered.
    2: Is there some type of framing under the top to support the vice's?
    3: Did you consider putting it on casters so as to move it about the shop?
    4: Did you consider making the drawers accessable from both sides?

I can assure you I'm just looking for answers rather than being critical. Just trying to avoid any mental anguish when I mull over the design of a bench of my own.

I will mention something that everyone missed. I like the red top

Jim

Jim, thanks for your questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Jay,
    As most every one has said the same things I would have about how pretty and functional the bench is I'm going to skip that part and ask some questions.

1: Is the top covered with something or just MDF. What about damage to the top most piece of MDF if not covered.

Top is just MDF, if it gets chewed up, so be it. If it gets REAL bad, I guess I'll take the router to it, chew it out and inset another top -- or buy a wood top, remount the vices and go from there. That concern is a LONG way down the road.

It is also going to encourage me to "work neat" and to protect the top with wax paper when I'm doing glueups. I'm also keeping the old bench that you see on the back wall -- solid core door nailed to cleats on the walls -- for the "dirty stuff" that goes on in any shop.

I thought about doing a solid wood top, but liked the simplicity and relative cheapness of the MDF apprach as presented in ShopNotes. Furthremore, the commercial version I was considering was the LV version which has an MDF top as well.
    2: Is there some type of framing under the top to support the vice's?

The side vise is set into a pocket routed out of the back of the apron and is bolted to the botton of the top, the screw/guide rails run through holes in the apron. This makes the inside face of the vise flush with the apron, so I can put a long piece of wood in the vise and use a clamp on rail to stablize the end away from the vise,

The twin screw end vice has fittings that screw into the back of the apron on the end. If you want details on the vise you can download instructions from LV's site.

3: Did you consider putting it on casters so as to move it about the shop?

Thought about it, didn't want to move it around, (even though I have one side of the garage for my stuff) was more interested in stability when working with hand tools. I can "nudge" it around by myself, but if I had to move it far I'd call a buddy and save my back.

4: Did you consider making the drawers accessable from both sides?

They are on full extension slides so that wouldn't work. I primarilay work on one side, I set the bench away from the wall so I could use both sides for glue ups

I can assure you I'm just looking for answers rather than being critical. Just trying to avoid any mental anguish when I mull over the design of a bench of my own.

I will mention something that everyone missed. I like the red top

Thanks!

Jim