Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg ProPack and Sommerfeld Pocket-Pro

Kreg ProPack and Sommerfeld Pocket-Pro

I was thinking about purchasing a Kreg system---and someone
    suggested that the Sommerfeld Pocket-Pro was a better unit;
    Did Marc Sommerfeld design both systems?
    1. Pro and cons of both systems?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Can't tell ya anything about the Sommerfeld, but the Kreg Pro is one of the best tools I have ever bought. It is great for face frames and just about anything you want to join together. Very nice set-up.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Can't tell ya anything about the Sommerfeld, but the Kreg Pro is one of the best tools I have ever bought. It is great for face frames and just about anything you want to join together. Very nice set-up.
    What Dick said!, Kreg is great.

I bought the Sommerfield - it may be just marketing hype but I bought into it after watching his cabineti making DVD. I haven't used the Kreg so I can't really compare.

I researched both and ended up with the Kreg kit from Lowes because it was local. As soon as I got it home I grabbed two pieces of wood and whipped up a rock solid joint in no time. I love it.

Another vote for the Kreg, I absolutely love it and have used it extensively in all my cabinetry projects. Amazing how strong the pocket hole joints are, and I really like the self drilling aspect of the square drive screws.

I did compare both systems before purchasing and I think the biggest difference was that Sommerfeld pushes the fact that his can be mounted to a router table insert. That doesn't appeal to me since I dont use an insert in my router table, but hey, to each his own.
    When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
    Henry J. Kaiser

Phil,

This is a little like the F versus E debate. Both systems are basically jigs that do the same thing, a little different here, a little different there. I assume the Kreg is adjustable like Marc's is? If so, then I don't think it makes any difference.

Greg

Thumbs up

Phil
    I have the Sommerfeld jig, I like it very much. Have no experience with the Kreg so I can't comment. I like the adjustabilty of the sommerfeld,has a toothed design to raise and lower for different wood thicknesses. I have mine mounted to a three foot piece of plywood,I pocket screwed a bottom panel of a vanity the other day that was 55" long. Works great

Tom

Phil, I have the Kreg, and I really like it, the Pro pack has the 2 unmounted units as well and there are times where you need the small size. The Somerfield on the other hand does not need to be disassembled and reassembled for different thicknesses, and may be fine tuned for non standard thickness, so in my opinion the best combination would be the Somerfield for fixed setup and the Kreg for the portable applications. Additionally try the McFeely's screws I prefer them in most cases.
    The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another

I didn't even know Sommerfield made a jig, but I have a Kreg and love it. Realistically, it is a very simple, very effective tool and I don't see there being any dramatic difference between one and the other.

I didn't know Sommerfield made a jig either! A pocket hole jig is on my list so now I will have to look at the sommerfield as well!

I've seen them both at the Tampa Woodworking Show. Even considered buying the Sommerfield version to give it a run. If I liked it, sell the Kreg. The Sommerfield version looked a little more versatile.

Net net was the rep never came over to do a demo...

Got thing too, who needs duplicate tools hanging around, expecially when you're under employed.

I use the Kreg Pro kit, it works great, I got mine from Lowes, someone marked the price wrong, and they honered it $19.99 what a deal!

Kreg Rules.....................

Question for a newbie. Do you not have to predrill the wood that your attaching into? Seems like it would split the wood when you drill the screw into it.