Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kreg ProPack and Sommerfeld Pocket-Pro

WOOD Magazine rated Kreg as the best pocket hole jig in every price category. The CMT Summerfield unit rated high in every category except clamping where it was rated as below average.

From the Kreg web site.
    Do I need to drill a pilot hole into the second workpiece?

No. The self-tapping tip of the pocket hole screw accomplishes this task for you. Even in very hard woods like hickory and maple no pre-drilling is required which saves an immense amount of assembly time.

THe Kreg pocket hole jig was invented by Craig Sommerfeld brother to Mark Sommerfeld
    Scott

Another user of the Kreg Pro Pack. I alsolooked seriously at the CMT version at last years show, I could not get the guy working the booth to come talk to me. Walked over to the Kreg booth and got immediate support, in the end I was happy with the purchse, they through in some bonus stuff and the services was great..... Service was the initial selling point.

Also, I had the Rocket before and felt in this case the performance was also a known commodity...not so on the CMT. Not bagging the quality cause I never got a chance to see it in action.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

3. Kreg/Sommerfeld Relationship

Marc Sommerfeld (Sommerfeld CMT) is the brother of Craig Sommerfeld (Kreg Tool Company). What that has to do with the performance of their respective tools, I don't know. I have used both and they both work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    Question for a newbie. Do you not have to predrill the wood that your attaching into? Seems like it would split the wood when you drill the screw into it.
    Yes, the jigs come with a special bit that matches the profile of the screws
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I like CMT router bits, but I must admit that the Sommerfield service is very bad. I recently emailed them for a catalog, infact I emaled them 3 times over a period of two months. In the end I had to call and ask if they wanted to sell to me or not! Finally about two weeks later I got the catalog, but now not sure if I want to order from them, so I would go with the Kreg jig

Another enthusiastic vote for the Kreg. However, I have just the Pocket Rocket version and find that it has met all my needs. Generally, I prefer to take the jig to the work rather than the other way around.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb