Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 11' runabout project

My 11' runabout project

Haven't posted here in a while, but though I'd share with everyone the project I've been working on since July of 2010. It's an 11' runabout wood boat which I'm constructing using plans from www.glen-l.com. I'm adding a 50hp outboard to this boat, and will be fiberglassing the hull. It's made of a combination of white oak, ash, douglass fir, and marine plywood. As you can see, I first began by building a form for my frames then I built everything around that and finally added my bottom planking.

Here are some pictures, and I'll try to keep updating here as I progress.

4 (2000 x 1500).jpg8 (1000 x 750).jpg11 (2000 x 1500).jpgPicture 067f (2000 x 1500).jpg
    Last edited by Greg Woloshyn; 01-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.

And here is where I am now. I'm going slow because I have the whole winter ahead of me before I can fiberglass and paint. It needs to be at least 60 degrees for optimum finish.

Picture 027 (3000 x 2250).jpg

Very nice worksmanship Greg, Did you find the Glen-L plans to be adequate? Are you going to use Fiberglass cloth & polyester resin or Fiberglass cloth & epoxy resin? Nice project!

Mac

The Glen-L plans are excellent, very very easy to understand and follow. Of course, this was a small boat, but I imagine all their plans are somewhat alike. I'm going to use the fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.

Blog Entries
    No, Offense, but a 50 Hp motor on an 11' runabout seems a bit large. Is the boat design rated for that much HP and weight?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This motor is actually very light, it's way lighter than the 40hp mercury I had on there previously. I added extra reinforcement to the transom.

A few members on another forum built the same boat with 40-50hp motors and had no problem.

Greg,
    Thanks for the info on Glen-L, That boat should really scoot. Are you going to have to have it inspected by CG for certificate before registering?

thanks, Mac

That size boat may be able to handle a 50hp motor on the back but a little boat like that will be awful squirrelly with that much power! I am one of the more power is good school but that is really pushing it even for an experienced boater. Back in the late 60s we had a 14' Crosby Sea Sled that wouldn't pull me skiing with the 35hp motor that we had so I beefed up the transom and hung a new 50hp Merc on it. The weight was no problem but it was way overpowered. I put a throttle stop on it so you couldn't go wide open. Of course I had to try it first and it would go almost 50mph which for a small boat is extremely fast. I wouldn't even think about putting that big of a motor on an 11' boat unless I had a death wish. Now my last boat would go over 80mph so I am not afraid of speed!

I'll be getting it inspected and registered with the DMV through NYS parks and recreation.

For those who are questioning 50hp being too much for this boat, and saying the boat will flip over after pinning the gas.. here's a video of the same boat with a 50hp motor on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6szEgzmO68

Good luck with your new toy..I too think you are way strong on power. Back in the early 60's I had a Glen L squirt with a hopped up Merc that put out about about 30 hp. Back then I weighed about 140 and that boat would regularly leap completely out fo the water on even the smallest wake. Didn't have reliable speedometer or GPS back then but times runs over estimated distances had it in the 50 mph range. I had photos that showed it appearing to ride on just the cavitation plate of the motor and maybe 2 ft of hull and the biggest problem was control. If you turned the steering wheel the boat would point in the new direction and skip like a stone over the surface in the direct it had been going originally. Drove it like a maniac from the time I was 14 to 17 then sold it and bought a Chevy with big block and 3 duces. One other issue with the big motor o a short boat was it squatted low in the back at idle. It was actually a little slow to come on plane because you had to climb over the wall of water it was pushing but it threw you back in the seat as it came over the wall and picked up speed instantly. Also had to be careful slowing down. As it came off plane it went back into the squat and if you slowed down too quickly your own wake would throw several gallons of water over the transom..had to goose it a little to slide out in front of the wake as it came off plane.
    You are in for a lot of fun but be careful on two occasions in the three years I ran mine I went over twice!

Blog Entries
    Building a runabout is on my bucket list I would love to see more pics of yours!

Wow, that boat brought back memories. I think whatever you are comfortable with and if its legal then go for it. Shoot, them ole K Mercs can be hopped up nicely. That was a cool video you posted.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Is this the Bullet?

Hey Greg,

If you said you were using a 20-35 hp motor these guys would all be telling you it isn't enough hp.
    Great job thus far. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Very nice.