Thread: 3M PPS--gun cleaning question

3M PPS--gun cleaning question

I finally got the PPS cup for the turbine I bought last year and am trying it out for the first time. How does everyone clean the gun between products when using these? I usually would rinse the cup with water then spray some through the gun. Unless I clean the insert or use a fresh one that doesn't work here. I thought I'd hold a cup of water under the gun and dip the adapter in it but that doesn't force it into the gun since the cup isn't pressurized.

I remove the PPS cup (which holds the liner and cap). I squirt appropriate solvent through the gun (adapter stays on gun) for the finish with the trigger pulled and the needle setting to wide open. I do this ~3x and then I squirt just a little bit in without pulling the trigger. I swish a bit and then empty. Repeat this for 3 times total. If water based finish, I squirt denatured alcohol to help dry things out faster. Before I use the gun with the next finish, I squirt some of the finish solvent through the gun and try to empty the solvent as must as possible before hooking up the cup. I inspect the air cap and remove any finish that might be impeding air flow. If I'm done spraying for the day, I'll soak the aircap in lacquer thinner or acetone.

Obviously, you'll need to hold your gun upside-down so the solvents will flow by gravity. If you had a gravity cup gun....you wouldn't hold that gun upside-down.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....