Thread: Opinions on older Ridgid bandsaw

Opinions on older Ridgid bandsaw

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an inexpensive 14" bandsaw, and on I'm looking at a Ridgid that someone has for sale. It's the older grey version, but it's supposedly in mint condition and hardly used. He's asking $150, but I'm sure I can get that down a bit.

Although Ridgid doesn't have a great reputation on their bandsaws, I've heard the older grey model is better than the new orange one. What are your thoughts? I'd like to be able to do some resawing, but probably only in the 4-5" thick range. Do you think the 3/4 hp motor is up to it?

Any advice or comments on the Ridgid saws, and how they compare to other 3/4 - 1 hp 14" saws, is appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

I had an orange one. I could not get the vibration out of it to my satisfaction. I paid $184 new when they were clearancing them from the stores. I am not sure there is any major difference between the two. I couldn't comment on the power, resawing was just not on with the vibration.

Older grey ones have the lifetime warranty, although that wasn't worth a hoot on my grey RIDGID RS1000 when I actually needed to use it.

If it is in good condition, that is a heckuva good price. I have had mine for about 4 years, (bought it used) and it has worked great. I reduced the vibration to almost zero with a link belt and beefing up the stand. I have added a riser and have had no issue with the motor. I haven't used it much for resawing but have had no problems with that. It tracks well and the older version of the Kreg fence that came with mine is a really good one. I'd jump on it!

someone on the lumberjocks forum posted an article on how to tune up the ridgid assuming you have the interest and the time

the older gray ridgids were built in the us by emerson electric and carry a lifetime guaranty against manufacturers defects that attaches to the tool, regardless of who the owner is. even a second or third owner.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, the saw was sold yesterday.

Joe

doh! don't worry, there'll be another one in a few more months....

You might be better off looking for something like a used Delta or Grizzly. As mentioned above, the Ridgid band saws have known issues. It's odd, as Ridgid power tools are generally excellent, but the BS has had vibration issues for years and Ridgid has made no effort to improve the product. In fact, the newer orange ones seem to be worse than the original gray units. In addition to problems mentioned above, they reportedly have wheel balance issues, too.

Bill

Yeah, the quality of the Ridgid bandsaws is what made me hesistant about buying it, even at that price. It was listed on Craigslist for a while (a few weeks), but I was looking out, like you say, Bill, for a Delta, Jet, or Grizzly.

I actually missed out on an older, but very clean looking 18" Grizzly, which I believe was 220v 2 HP. I'm not sure how great the quality of older Grizzly's are, and how available parts would be, but it was only $225. I called within a few hours of the posting, and it was already sold.

Also, there was a 14" 1 HP Grizzly 055 for only $125 (or $100, I forget), which had a busted tensioner. All the parts would only have added up to less than $30. I emailed the man, and I thought we had an understanding that I would come to see it. Well, he sold it out from under me, which was nice. It was owned by a school, which meant it would have seen a fair amount of use, but at the same time that it was probably well-maintained.

Well, I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled. I guess my biggest uncertainty is whether or not a smaller 3/4 HP range saw, which most 14" ones seem to be, will be substantial for some resawing once in a while; or if I should only look at larger saws. I don't want to spend a lot of money, so I'm hoping that for occasional resawing, in the 4-5" range, that the medium size saws will be okay.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Fabbri; 04-20-2012 at 1:09 PM.