Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which molding machine?

Which molding machine?

I'm in the market for a molding machine. I understand the Williams and Hussey is the pick of the crop. However, this world is full of compromises (mostly price versus quality). Does any one know how the Shopfox knock-off compares to the W&H? Also how much of a compromise is the Powermatic/Woodmaster/Belsaw group over the W&H?

Does anyone have a W&H for sale?

Thanks all.

Dave Loebach

I have used both the W&H and Shopfox. The Shopfox did a very good job on the molding. At the time, there was a big price difference between the two machines, but the Shopfox price has risen significantly since then narrowing the price delta. I would buy the W&H over the Shopfox as it is extremely robust, and made in the USA. I sold my W&H and am now using an antique M&M molder which is the forerunner of the W&H.

There are two Williams Hussey machines for sale now on the bay.....

I have a woodmaster shaper, planer, sander, gang-rip. Operates on a similar concept as the W&H. I love it and can say that I've used all of it's functions. I would certainly look into it, especially if you think you would use a planer, drum sander or gang rip (handy for making all those molding blanks). Woodmaster is also American made, here in KC. Good people, good products and great support. Just FYI

Ryan

I own a ShopFox, its a very nice machine. There are several reviews in our archives if you want the details.

W&H style molders are the fastest and more flexible due to the design.
    They are actually ''Buck Shapers'' and only viewed as molders.
    They run off of bolt on knives which are easier set up.
    They do a tighter radius when doing curves.
    and in my opinion have a better resale value.

The ''Belsaw'' patent/style molder can run wider profiles.
    Can be used as a true 12'' plus planer.
    Some models have gang saw capability as well as sanding drums.

The ''Belsaw'' molders can run several heads, 1 knife, 2 knives, 3 knives, as well as corrugated back systems.
    (stay clear of the corrugated face system that was out there for awhile)

Both machine styles have a place in the shop depending on your square footage, expertise, and need.
    I am partial to the W&H brand being made in USA, but the new Shop Fox has many new features that cant be ignored.
    (Bigger and badder stand, larger tables, cast Iron dovetails all stand out of the W&H options.)
    W&H has a great 7 year warrenty and we have sold them for several years and only had to call on them a handful of the time.
    Shop Fox has a 2 year warrenty and is still a prototype,(in my opinion, but has great local dealer support as does W&H)

good luck,
    Bobby.

Hi Dave,
    I purchased the mini ShopFox on sale a couple years ago as I was on the path to cut slats for plantation shutters. Since then, I've cut 1,000' or more red oak shutter slats. Then my wife wanted to upgrade the window casings when we installed the shutters, so I purchased knives and cut a lot of window casings, also from red oak. I get along fine with the machine, but my use is on the hobbiest side. If you envision commercial use, a bigger machine might be advisable. One thing - get good quality knives. With that in mind, I suggest you call Tim at Custom Knives (802) 753-7105 - he will also give you some input on molding machines as he makes knives for them all. In addition, he is extremely helpful in making the knives for you - great guy and good source for custom knives. Take care.

i bought a shop foxx few years ago to. they where closing out the old design which to me looked like clone of the w&h the new shop foxx design looks preatty good though.

I'd love to have a Williams & Hussey--just because--but make do with the old style Shop Fox W1739 moulder, since the seller made me an offer I could not refuse. It works great too! The 2hp motor has plenty of power! All this stuff for $675! How could I resist?

ShopFox Moulder 2.JPGShopFox knives.JPG

If you can find a used one, lots of Bang for the Buck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have a Foley Belsaw that I got somewhat abused, but for $250 I took a chance. About $70 worth of bushings and a belt, and I was in business. It is a crude machine compared to my Inca joiner/planer, but it turns out great work, both as a planer and as a molding machine. It is simple and robust, and with a 5HP Baldor motor not much slows it down. I've molded with three knives, which is more of a pain to set up, and just one knife. Surprisingly, the finish quality with only one knife was just about as good as with 3. I've even ground a single knife for it myself out of A2 steel, and it cut just fine for the 50 feet of material I needed. The W&H is a nicer machine, and it would be my choice if I just wanted a molding machine, but I'm happy with the Foley Belsaw as a planer and occasional molder. So I think it really depends upon what your needs and space are.

I bought a used W&H and rebuilt it, also installed a shopfox variable speed box. I have not used this yet but it is well built. The shopfox casting is just so-so, I have heard this about the molding machine. The reason why I have not used the W&H yet is bacause I came across a new never used woodmaster 718, with accessory kit and router attachments. I got such a good deal I could not turn it down. The woodmaster is well built with a 5HP motor and variable feed, quality is excellant as well as their customer service. I have used it for planing, ripping and molding and it has performed excellant. I think any of the 3 machines are a good choice and it depends on your budget, check your local craigs list and ebay for a good used one. If I decide to sell the W&H I know I'll get a good price for it, they seem to hold a good resell value.

Regards!
    Ed

Blog Entries
    I've had a W& H for many years.. 1992? Built my own stand and bought a 2 hp compressor motor to use with it. I recently upgraded it to variable speed. It's been great. I've used it for molding and for a rough and tough planer... it can really take off material fast! W&H gives great support .. the models haven't changed a lot over the years and you can get parts or upgrades at reasonable prices.
    I've had custom knives made and bought some off the shelf and all have produced great results.

I've seen quite a few on ebay and craig's list at good prices.. I think my next upgrade will be to buy or build an elliptical molding jig just for jollies.. maybe the workshop will end up with elliptical windows...

Well, the shop fox and the W&H perform nearly identically on a short term basis IME. I wish it weren't so for the sake of my made in the USA pride, but it is. I've had the old version shop fox for a few years, it gets very little use presently, but it works every bit as well as the W&H I've used at work. Long term? People say the W&H has better castings, motor and bearings that will last longer, I don't have trouble believing that but can't say one way or the other if its true.

I'm told by guys at work (guys who have used both, and many other larger molders, guys that said I was nuts when I bough a shop fox till I told them the closeout price I paid) that the wood master is a superior machine in all aspects for straights, and does curves very well, but not as tight a radius as the W&H type machines. The W&H/Shop Fox style molders will do ellipses, the wood master will not.

Have you considered a logosol machine? A bit more money but it seems like a lot more machine if you need it. Fun to look at anyway? In any event I will only make moldings with the shop fox that I cannot buy from a commercial source with a thru molder. A real thru molder does a better job than any small shop molder, but the knife and set up charges are restrictive for small custom runs. There is some break even point depending on the scale at which you are making moldings. One nice option for the W&H or shop fox molders is combo knives that will run in both corrugated shper heads or the Hussey bolt on heads. This allows you to run straights on a shaper and curves on the Hussey which can be very useful for certain small molding patterns like panel molds or small casings, not so important for wider patterns. Something to consider anyway.

Blog Entries

Smile Thru moulder

"Have you considered a logosol machine? A bit more money but it seems like a lot more machine if you need it. Fun to look at anyway? In any event I will only make moldings with the shop fox that I cannot buy from a commercial source with a thru molder. A real thru molder does a better job than any small shop molder, but the knife and set up charges are restrictive for small custom runs. There is some break even point depending on the scale at which you are making moldings. One nice option for the W&H or shop fox molders is combo knives that will run in both corrugated shper heads or the Hussey bolt on heads. This allows you to run straights on a shaper and curves on the Hussey which can be very useful for certain small molding patterns like panel molds or small casings, not so important for wider patterns. Something to consider anyway."

It's hard to imagine that any machine does better than a variable speed w&h. I get moldings that don't need any sanding what else can you do better?

I haven't run a W&H but I can't imagine why anyone would spend the same amount of money on a machine that will only do 1/4 of what the Woodmaster will do. I own 2 Woodmaster machines and would buy more if I had the room. Also, I've done jobs with up to 10" base trim that couldn't be done on the W&H which can only accept 7". Just my two cents

Nice to see so many folks with Domestic made machinery ..