Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Angle Jack

High Angle Jack

A couple of pics of the mesquite high angle jack that I just finished. I stole the frog off a transitional, mounted it at 10 degrees to get to a 55 degrees. The sole is lignum. I'm not a turner so I reused the beech front knob, maybe I'll turn a mesquite one on my South Bend metal lathe someday but I really don't like wood turning. Finished with 2 coats of True Oil, wet sanded the first coat, then applied the second with green Scotch Bright. Leaves a satin finish, I might top with one more wipe on coat to get some gloss. Works great! I took some pics of the build if anyone is interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    I always like seeing build pics.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Clever idea. +1 on the build info.

I love this idea. I fully plan to steal it

Oh, clever! I knew there was a reason I was holding on to the transitional frog I picked up as part of a box of parts at some garage sale or other.

Ok a couple of build pics, but I warn you, not much neandering going on here.
    I'm just going to add the pics with out commentary, you're big people, you can figure out the order, ask questions if you see something of interest. Some people would right a book, I'll just let you look at pics. Looks like SMC limits to 8 pics per post so I'll make another post and let you guess at the rest.
    The Plane Anarchist

Looks like the order definitely gets screwed up when you just add a bunch of pics but here's a tip: mill the stock, machine the stock, then finish, the rest just needs to be done before you get to to step #3.
    The Plane Anarchist

One last pic of the Mesquite herd, I mean collection, and one of "A Pair of Jacks":
    The Plane Anarchist

Excellent! Nice planes and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Really look nice.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

One question- have you tried the thin Stanley irons on something nasty, and if so, how well did it work with the 50 degrees?

Cool looking builds, by the way.

Adjusting the bedding angle of a transitional frog is exceedingly clever, Leigh. I'm filing that one away for the next time I trip over a dog-meat transitional plane. Colorado's dry climate and decades of neglect seem to lead to every one I've found being checked beyond (easy) salvation. This doesn't stop the sellers from commanding top dollar for such a RARE and COLLECTIBLE artifact, mind you.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Leigh is that a Hell Hound? I heard of them but never seen one

Also are you milling on a Jigbore @ your house? If you you such as I only have a HF drill press and x-y table

I have a tub full of Transitional parts in the garage some place, makes we want to make one too
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Nice planes Leigh!
    Is that the Gage #4 in the pic?
    Thanks for sharing the build.
    Paul

Leigh, well done. Thanks for posting. I always like these kinds of posts. Work getting done :-)
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.