Thread: Here is my story and I'm sticking with it..

Here is my story and I'm sticking with it..

Simple little gadget but it does the trick. I make a lot of paneled lids, doors and such and this doo-hicky is the bee's knees.

006.JPG
    Last edited by Gene Howe; 01-17-2011 at 7:19 PM.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Nice one! How about a thumbscrew?

Yeah, that's what I wanted, didn't have one at the time. Made do.
    Gene
    GH

how's it work exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    Yeah, that's what I wanted, didn't have one at the time. Made do.
    I'd like to have something like that with bevel gauges at the ends- that way you could get the length and angles. I think that it's a common fabricated tool for boat builders.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    how's it work exactly?
    I think it is intended for taking inside measurements, like into a frame for determining the size of panel it can accommodate.

The subject is a play, I believe, on "story stick."

Frank,
    Paul is correct.... in both statements.
    I have several different lengths of aluminum bar, and switch them out as needed. I take the gauge from the frame, or whatever, directly to the TS and use it between the blade and the fence. If the panel is solid, I give it a little play, if ply or hardboard that will be glued in, I make it tight. Works like a charm.
    Gene
    GH

Do you have any issues removing it from a frame? I.e. when you extend it all the way to the edges of the frame, how do you take it out? The corner to corner dimension would be more than the flat to flat dimension. Wouldn't it be easier with eased corners?

Sure does look fancy. It also gives me an idea for some of the aluminum stock I've got sitting around.

I have several story sticks of various lengths done with basswood (leftovers from architectural model building days) and maple strips. I use a couple binder clips to fasten. I like being able to put one edge of the stick flush against a face when I can.

Lots of people make similar gizmos -- with 45s at each end (think: arrowhead) for ensuring that cabinetry is square (same measurements, corner to corner, in "both directions."

Easier, quicker, and probably more accurate than the old Norm Abram way, using a tape measure.

Slick, Gene. Slick !

Quote Originally Posted by Erik France View Post
    Sure does look fancy. It also gives me an idea for some of the aluminum stock I've got sitting around.

I have several story sticks of various lengths done with basswood (leftovers from architectural model building days) and maple strips. I use a couple binder clips to fasten. I like being able to put one edge of the stick flush against a face when I can.
    A friend uses sticks, also. He slides them apart, into the hole or grooves then, marks on one where the end of the other falls. He too, uses binder clips, when he gets to the saw, to insure they stay where he wants them as he adjusts the fence.
    Gene
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laeder View Post
    Do you have any issues removing it from a frame? I.e. when you extend it all the way to the edges of the frame, how do you take it out? The corner to corner dimension would be more than the flat to flat dimension. Wouldn't it be easier with eased corners?
    Not often, Nick. Most often the gauge is used during the dry fit.
    Gene
    GH

wonder when lee valley will make a shiny version of that and sell it to us for $29.95 lol

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    wonder when lee valley will make a shiny version of that and sell it to us for $29.95 lol
    Half price for you, Frank
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.