Thread: Air Cleaner Advise

Air Cleaner Advise

My shop is 24'x40' = 960 Sq Ft., 8' celing= 7680 cubic feet total.
    Jet offers a 3 speed unit with the max of 1044 CFM.
    I have a mobile collector to connect to various machines but it does not get it all.
    I run only one machine at a time. My question is, is the unit mentioned overkill or could a smaller CFM unit be used.
    Thank you in advance for your comments

Blog Entries
    You probably don't need to recirculate all the air in your shop 8 times per hour. If price is not an object the higher cfm unit won't do any harm and may only cost a few pennies more to operate.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You probably don't need to recirculate all the air in your shop 8 times per hour. If price is not an object the higher cfm unit won't do any harm and may only cost a few pennies more to operate.
    Agreed.

If it only operated at max speed, I might think harder about "air exchanges per hour," but ... since there ARE three speeds ... no harm.

Mine's two speeds. Both are pretty quiet. Low is for when I'm in the shop. Hi is for when I leave, and I let it run for an hour or two.

Don, contact JDS, JET, or others if you need more info. They'll probably have a shop size standard that applies to each model they offer so you end up with the best unit for your space, price permitting. The CFM rating , to me, is misleading since it's the fan output, and doesn't take into account the filter size that increases with each larger unit/model. If you don't run much or make much dust, maybe a smaller unit is all you need, even with that fairly large 40 wall foot section of your 24' x 40' shop. Anyway, give them a call and tell us what they think your needs are best suited by.

more is better ... I run a 1800 cfm cyclone and the same jet air cleaner in a 20x20 shop. No such thing as overkill when it comes to clean air, and in a short time even a little dust in the air is annoying (hence my recent festool purchases).

On the contrary, your shop is over twice the size of my 400 sq foot x 8.5' ceiling shop... I am using a 1044 CFM Grizzly unit and it works great, but I wouldn't consider it as a sole air cleaner for a space that large. Honestly, for the space you are talking about, you might want to consider at least 1800 CFM, or better, 2 of the 1000 ish models...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...