Thread: Teco FM50 VFD question

Teco FM50 VFD question

I am considering putting a VFD in a vintage 3 phase machine. I think I have read some things about using "analog" switches to control basic VFD functions remotely, like on/off, reversing etc. I want the machine to remain vintage looking and I don't know about you but a digital key pad just ruins that look...

Since it is going to be on a bandsaw (wood cutting only) all I am interested in with the VFD is 3 phase out and motor braking so the only thing I need to control remotely is on/off. Is this possible, if so does it require special switches. Just looking at the viability with the FM50, if not possible with the FM50 are there any "value" priced VFDs that it would work with. TIA

The FM50 will work fine, I have one on my metal lathe-and I just rewired the original factory drum switch (FWD-OFF-REV) to the FM50. All you need to control the FM50 is the contact closure of any switch so you can use the switch you have if you want. I also added a speed control potentiometer to my lathe, and the extra braking resistor to stop the lathe faster.

There are a couple pictures of the VFD towards the ends of this album: http://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/Clausing4900 and I have some more at home I could post later if you need more info.

I did exactly what you want to do with my Powermatic table saw. I wired the stock switches into the VFD. It is very simple, I followed the instructions on the old woodworking machines website for wiring the switches. Try looking at their info on 3 phase it is quite helpful.

I kept mine all plug and play. I wired a standard extension cord into the on/off switch so I could unplug the saw to move it around. So there are three things I need to plug in before running the saw. Power from VFD directly to the motor, stock switch, and the Power to the VFD.
    Last edited by keith jensen; 01-19-2011 at 7:51 PM. Reason: missed word

Excellent, just what I needed to know. I just needed to know it would work as opposed to exactly how since I am doing some horse trading this weekend and wanted to have an idea of the cost of doing this since it will affect the way I go about my trades.

I realize this is an older thread but I found a YouTube video on how to wire a Teco FM50 VFD that is very helpful and shows all the answers to Van's previous questions for those that may be thinking about getting a Teco VFD this should be very helpful indeed.