Thread: CNC Inlayed Walnut serving tray I recently finished

CNC Inlayed Walnut serving tray I recently finished

About 3 months ago I finished building my CNC Router table and have since had a great time doing inlays way better than I ever could before.

This serving tray which measures about 10" X 7" is made with a base wood of Walnut. The Cypress tree is made from Cocobolo (trunk) and figured Bubinga for the leaves. The sides and ends of the tray are angled out 9 degrees. There are supportive splines in each corner made from a sandwich of Maple and Padauk.

I made this at the request of the wife of a friend of mine for his Christmas present. She wanted to pay me to make it......Yeah right, like she wants to really pay me for the hours this took! I charged her $100 and wrote it off as a labor of love for a friend.
    Tray.jpg

Not to take away from the tree, because that looks great as well, but I really like the spline sandwich. Wally

beautiful. Didn't think about it until the reply above, but yes, the spline looks quite nice there.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Marty that's very impressive. The use of different woods for the tree is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Alexander View Post
    Not to take away from the tree, because that looks great as well, but I really like the spline sandwich. Wally
    Can you give is a better view of these. I hadn't thought of doing that. Great idea.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Where did you get the plans for the CNC machine?

Looks good. What kind of CNC machine did you build?
    "The key to patience is doing something else."

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Marty that's very impressive. The use of different woods for the tree is excellent.

Can you give is a better view of these. I hadn't thought of doing that. Great idea.
    Actually, I don't have the tray anymore. I'll dig around and see if I have a picture that shows them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trever Williams View Post
    Looks good. What kind of CNC machine did you build?
    I built a BlackToe 2X4 V 2.0 from buildyourcnc.com. here is the website
    http://buildyourcnc.com/blackToe2x4v40.aspx

You can see my machine in action on a short youtube video. Go to youtube.com and search for thegarageguy1. That's me!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post

Here is the only other picture I have of the tray. The splines are a little more visible. The next time I do a try with Walnut, I'm going to use a darker wood, like Macassar Ebony sandwiching a reddish wood. Above are photos of the tray, sandwich and the jig I made to make the splines on my table saw in addition to the signature my CNC Router carves for my on everything I make.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marty Leach; 01-22-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Looks awesome, The NC work looks great.

Does it still count as handcrafted if you uses a computer controlled router? hehe.

Hey now! The tray is handcrafted and the CNC work is surprisingly tedious, so I think it's probably OK to still say handcrafted.

Nice wife. Good friend. What a great combination as a result!

It's a gift that's very special, indeed.

Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

The tray is awesome... I love the 3 colour miter splines. You did a great job.