Thread: One Shot and Airbrush.

One Shot and Airbrush.

Years ago I free hand routed a few signs and painted them with black krylon.
    This gummed up my belt sander paper, but gave the wood an aged look.

After reading past post on this forum and shopbot's, anyway I plan on using
    One Shot and thin down and use an airbrush set up to limit where the paint
    goes and help make the sanding belts last longer.

Does any body do it this way or chime in on how you actually paint the vcarving.
    this will be on cypress and corian,

Thanks,
    Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Hi Anthony,

I've used your technique before, and it works well. One Shot is less gummy than spray paint, and using an airbrush not only cuts down on the amount of paint build-up, but it's a lot easier to get paint into small, intricate areas.

The only downside to painting and sanding is that the edges aren't as crisp as I like them, and sometimes I prefer a painted background instead of bare wood. So I started masking my signs with Oracal 813 stencil film, and v-carving right through it. Then I use the airbrush and One Shot to paint the cut areas, and then peel the mask off when it's dry.

Attached are a few examples of my letters using the mask.

John

Sign Pictures 090.jpg

Sloniker 034.jpg

Casey1.jpg

Hi John, I appreciate your first post be a reply to my thread. Good info. and I'll go this route.
    Also appreciate the pics, as they demostrate what you mean.

Now I need to find an affordable airbrush set-up. I can Google or ebay this I quess.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember you couldn't use off the shelf thinner for One Shot. They had their own thinner. You might double check that. I could be wrong. This seems to be my day to be wrong
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, I think you are right. I read that somewhere as well.
    It's like lacquer can only be thinned with lacquer thinner.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

John

Welcome to SMC..

Nice work, thanks for posting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice work, John. I agree that using a mask is the best way to go.

I always used regular paint thinner/mineral spirits for 1-Shot. They do make their own special reducer, cleaner and hardener... but I never used any of them. I imagine their own stuff works the best if you want to buy it. Just don't thin it too much or it will not last very long even though it will flow nicely. A medium sized (#3) tip will give you the best results for covering without clogging as you want the paint to be as close to "out of the can" flow as possible. A smaller tip will choke on the paint and a larger tip will make a larger overspray.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thank you Dee on the spraying tips, as I've never used them before and this'll help.
    I'm stoked, plan on ordering 32BT buddy tomorrow. Also plan on going through the local
    pawn shops for extra belt and orbital sanders. As well as making a trip to Jackson to
    visit 3 corian dealers. I've down loaded the software and have been practicing on it.
    Still will be a learning curve there, but maybe not as steep now. Ya'll keep the ideas
    coming, I do appreciate it.

Thanks
    Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Anthony,

If you've never airbrushed before, please keep in mind that LESS is better! The main mistake beginners make is laying down too much paint at once. Technically, paint should dry exactly at the moment it hits the surface, not before (it will fall off eventually) and not after (it will make caterpillars). Light coats built up will give the best adhesion and appearance. Never press the button when you are facing the work, spitting is common at the start of the flow. Start far away and move the point to your destination then close in for best results.

Good luck! dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong