Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mail Order or "Local"

If you are considering picking up at Grizzly, ( Springfield Mo is 828 mi one way and Muncy Pa is 705 miles one way) then be sure where everything is coming from.
    I recently ordered a bunch from Grizzly and was going to pick it up all myself
    in Muncy Pa which was the closest for me. Good thing I did not just go and figure everything would be there. Some was shipped from Springfield and some from Muncy Pa! When I figured my pickup cost vs delivered cost and time on the road, I would save about $100. Not worth the 14 hour drive!

Tom,

Cabinet Makers Supply Company is the store 180 mi. from me that I mentioned. I go through Grand Rapids often as I'm in Chicago alot and my home town is South Haven. Both are through Grand Rapids when I go. It's been yrs. since I've been to Johnson's. I used to go there often because it was the only place I know of that had a supply of "Wormy Chestnut." Wormy Chestnut makes great dulcimers. I didn't recall that Johnson's had many tools back then (about 20 yrs.). In fact, I think, now that I'm shaking my brain a bit, they may have a store in Grand Rapids also. Guess my next trip to Chicago may be a long one.

John

John

John,

Hope this reply doesn't post twice, I flubbed it the first time and now have to retype it. I can assure you my first version, the one that I lost, was far more eloquent and informative

I'm not sure how to find ShopFox dealers, corporate info is hard to find. I would call Grizzly and ask them. The founder and president of Grizzly (or at least someone claiming to be) frequents some of the woodworking messageboards (not sure about this one). If you strick out by calling, we might be able to get him to point us in the right direction.

Your observations mirror mine, my local ShopFox dealer is an extremely small business, although he usually does have 4-6 floor standing machines on display (including the floor standing jointer). He can also order anything ShopFox makes. He got a radial drill press for me, and his first quoted price was right in line with mail order. I don't know if there are price restrictions or not.

Tom,

I considered the General brand, but I just couldn't afford the prices. If I could, there would be a lot of other brands I would be considering. Maybe I'll win the lotto!!

Yes, I live in a scenic area. 20 wooded acres, year-round stream, (with appropriate sauna) high over looking the Jordan River Valley. Also, I've got a very large, straight Maple that needs to be harvested, and a couple of Cherry trees. It's heaven!!

John

Ted,

That's a good point. However, I probably won't have the money immediately to buy everything a one time. If I do that with a road trip, I'll be saving for a few extra months before I buy. Bought locally, with no shipping, I can buy a piece at a time and get to work. I'm used to doing without, so either way won't matter a lot.

John

Exclamation Local or mail order is not the question -- Long

The real question is where do you get the most for your dollar. I have bought all my major power tools by mail order.

Built my cyclone dust collector from a kit (Colorado), motor is American made but bought from a company in Michigan, and the blower impeller from Canada.

Bought my Bandsaw from Mini Max is made in Italy, and distributed from Austin Tx.

Bought my Cabinet saw from Wilke Machinery in Pennsylvania.

Bought my 8" jointer from Sunhill Machinery in Seattle Washington.

I will most likely buy my planer from either Wilke Machinery(Yorkcraft) in Pa. or from Wood Master in Kansas City Kansas.

Am I worried about parts and service, not in the least. Each company enjoys a good reputation in the market place, and their customer service is a strong point.

Why did I choose them? I spent time researching the tool I was interested in buying, and came to the conclusion that the companies above have the best features at the best price.

For example, Wilke has the Bridgewood 10LTS in their show room setting next to a Powermatic 66 for comparison. Why pay $2500 for a tool when one of comparable quality can be had for $1400?

My jointer is a Geetec 8" 2 hp.(Yes it is from Taiwan via Sunhill) that as far as I am concerned is a better tool than the famous DJ-20. More horsepower, 2 hp instead of 1.5, and 4 blades instead of 3. Edges coming out of it are ready to glue.

The bandsaw is a Mini Max just because they are the best, not the cheapest. The other day I received a call from my Mini Max salesman just to touch base and see if everything was going well with the saw, and if I needed anything.

Now really, how often do you need to have a major tool repaired? In addition, would you really have some one from a local vendor work on it? My position is that I have a tool that I expect to own for a long time, hence I need to know how it works and how to fix should the need arise. These tools are orders of magnitude simpler than a car of a TV.

I am not saying that any of the above mentioned well known tools are anything other than excellent. But rather, I think I have found machinery of equal or better quality for less money. Many of your will take issue with that, and I may very well be proved wrong, but I am happy with my purchases.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 01-12-2005 at 12:06 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Opinion

Local is Better IMHO You can touch/feel/test And when SERVICE or a return is indicated ...It's much easier. I do buy some things by mail usually specialized items or where a deal is esp attractive on a "proven winner" (I recently bought a new Bosch jigsaw for $100 this way) and filters for my DC etc. Just my opinion...
    Jerry

John, don't forget that if you order from Grizzly that you will be the one unloading their truck. They put a disclaimer that the driver will not help getting the equipment to the ground and if I remember right you must arrange for a lift gate. When my dad bought a shaper from them he had to lower it from the delivery truck into the bed of his pickup and then onto the ground - by himself. It had a damaged table top and Griz quickly replaced it - good service. I seem to be better off going and putting my hands on something before I buy it. If you are already driving 180 miles then look around as there might be another dealer within that driving range. Whatever you get good luck with it and keep us posted.

Mike, you bring up a good point. I have bought mail order equipment before, but its always small enough to be delivered by FedEx or UPS. Our drivers are wonderful and would help any way they could. I have been afraid to order big equipment because of the logistics involved; you need at least 2 people to unload, how can you arrange someone to be there when you don't know when the delivery will be? Also, freight companies always ask if a semi can get to your house, gosh I don't know. I sure couldn't get one to my house, but someone who knows how to drive one might be able to.

When I eventually do order a large piece, I will go to the terminal and pick it up myself, that way I can control at least some aspect of it.

FYI I just saw where Amazon is offering free lift gate + free shipping on big tools

I'll just add the website for Johnson's that Mark Blumer mentioned. It is my local store...I live 4 miles from it, yep it's like a kid in a candy store for me when it is so close. www.theworkbench.com

John,

I don't know what your intrest in Shop Fox is, but my local dealer is ML Woodcutters in Brighton, MI. http://www.mlwoodcutters.com/ Quite a distance from you, but if your ever in the Ann Arbor Area, it's a nice place to stop a look around.

-Dave

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    John,

Since you are interested in buying multiple machines, another alternative is to contact General Industrial Supply in Nashville (1-800-371-2220). They primarily sell Jet and Powermatic. Both new and "scratch and dent". I have purchased lots of stuff from them, both new and S&D and have never been disappointed. If you call ask to speak to Rick Warren (owner). Visit their website
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.