Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no I won the auction. What do I do now?

Red face Oh no I won the auction. What do I do now?

I bid I almost didn't mean to win. What do I do now. I just couldn't resist the call of the cast iron. LOML doesn't know yet. Where am I gonna start. The good news is it was $610.00 and I have a couple of people I know with alot of experience and knowledge about electric motors and what will work or not. I hope I can draw on some of the knowledge here as well. I don't have 3 phase so gotta change that. What am I gonna do? Not sure if this is a gloat or not but it is gonna be a project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John -

Congratulations. It definitely is a gloat. Can you use the "It just followed me home. Can I keep it?" appoach.

How are you going to get it from where it is now to and into your shop?

Congarts,
    Ted

Before you go replacing the motor, get a Variable Frequency Drive for it. The VFD will handle single to 3-phase power conversion and means you won't have to mess with motor mounting, etc. Dealers Electric has some decent prices and you can do well on ebay too.

How many HP is the motor?

John.........congrats!.......it looks like a pillow and cot mattress might fit it!
    Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

3 hp motor 3 phase. Seller says it won't start and he thinks it's the switch but can't rule out motor.

Here is the description on Ebay. I was thinking that if the cast iron is good that is the most important thing.
    Yates American#10 12" Jointer 72" bed, Ser# R-3344

72" bed, 3 knives, 3hp, 220v, 7.6amp, 3phase,

Massive direct drive motor: Westinghouse 3450rpm, frame# 726A, motor S#5846830

Does not run. Most likely switch is bad although I cannot rule out motor.

SELLING AS IS!

It is a couple of hours from here so a trailer will do the trick. Just have to get it on and off. It is in Souderton, PA

I feel a little quesy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    I feel a little quesy.
    Price out a MiniMax FS30 - you'll feel much better.

Nice jointer btw.

If it is the motor you can have it rewound by a motor shop. But, 3 ph motors are workhorses and it is unlikely that it will be the problem.

As old as it is you would have to be a very lucky person to find a single phase motor to fit it. Best bet is the VFD option, they work like a charm, just make sure that the one you get can convert single to three phase. Some older ones cannot.

John,
    That feeling that you have is buyers remorse. It will go away after a few good beatings by the Mrs.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

What about a phase converter? You can buy a kit of of ebay for a few$$, Hope your shop isnt in the basement!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    What about a phase converter? You can buy a kit of of ebay for a few$$, Hope your shop isnt in the basement!
    That's the rub. It is in the basement. I could always keep the jointer in the garage. I just got so caught up that I wasn't thinking straight. I also look at it as a challenge and might just refurbish the machine on "SPEC". I will have to get this beast here and think about what to do next. I am thinking phase converter as well. What is more cost effective a converter or the VFD?

What about a conversion to a belt drive? Any thoughts? I've seen Baldor motors on EBAY 3hp single phase that sell for $75.00 They claim they are new in box. Feedback review suggests that people are happy with them. I have a feeling that I am going to be learning quite a bit from this project.

How about a conning tower, a few model airplanes, and some model sailors, put a number on it and call it a model aircraft carrier. Land based of course.

Hey John, just trying to help with the war department.

Seriously, I think once you get that puppy up and running you'll have a grin from ear to ear.

Enjoy!
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    How about a conning tower, a few model airplanes, and some model sailors, put a number on it and call it a model aircraft carrier. Land based of course.

Enjoy!
    LOL, just one problem Karl: they don't call flattops "bomb magnets" for nothing!

Congrats, John, that looks like gloat to me.

First project for the new jointer: A nice doghouse with accommodations for the dog and you. If you don't have a dog, maybe you should adopt one for company At least it will be made up of nice, wide boards that are good and square.