Thread: Air compressor - looking for that "pflug, pflug, pflug" sound

Air compressor - looking for that "pflug, pflug, pflug" sound

I have a Porter Cable pancake air compressor which is like a rivot gun on the decibel scale. My use is occasional and light duty.

Are there any smaller and relatively inexpensive compressors out there that are quiet? I would say max tank size of 20 gal.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

For "quiet" you need to find a oil-filled compressor. They are out there but not may in the smaller size you want.

Larry,

Home Depot has a 30 gallon Husky brand upright (oil filled) compressor that is so quiet you can have a conversation next to it while its running. It is a belt driven compressor style, not the pancake compressor that will wake up the dead.

The price is just under $379.00 so it isn't made for sand blasting or large CFM air tools but it makes a nice shop compressor for general work.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Larry,

Home Depot has a 30 gallon Husky brand upright (oil filled) compressor that is so quiet you can have a conversation next to it while its running. It is a belt driven compressor style, not the pancake compressor that will wake up the dead.

The price is just under $379.00 so it isn't made for sand blasting or large CFM air tools but it makes a nice shop compressor for general work.

[.
    .................................................. .... Yes this is the one I have and it serves me well. Very quiet..........................................
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gene View Post
    I have a Porter Cable pancake air compressor which is like a rivot gun on the decibel scale. My use is occasional and light duty.

Are there any smaller and relatively inexpensive compressors out there that are quiet? I would say max tank size of 20 gal.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Take a look at the Makita compressors. They have several smaller models and they are very quiet.

I believe the Thomas line of compressors are very quite.

Mac

Thanks eveyone. This gets me started in the right direction.

One other thing to look at is the RPM of the compressor motor. All things being equal, usually the compressors with lower rpm motors make less noise (1725 versus 3450 rpm).