Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dice engraving - How to speed up the process

Question Dice engraving - How to speed up the process

Hi,

I've just received an order about engraving small blank six sided dice (12mm) in large quantities (maybe 10000).

I know how to do it for a handful dices but i never tackled a huge order like that.

My normal steps would be :
    - Place all the dice on face 1 in the laser
    - Mask
    - Engrave
    - Paint
    - Remove the mask and clean
    - Turn all the dice on face 2 and realign
    - Repeat

Obviously, the main problem is turning 10000 dices by hand, one by one !!!!

Even if i proceed by batches, the problem is the same.

I'm seeking for any solution from manual work tips to a full mechanical solution to build (!!!) !

Did someone had to solve this type of challenge before ?

Regards,

Philippe

Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Hi Matt,

Thanks. This previous thread goes a bit in every directions (dice providers...), but there are some good tips.

This manual dice turning operation still seems unmanageable for huge quantities, even with the jigs help. I would have to recruit 2 or 3 people to turn dice all the day ! ^^

Regards,

Philippe

I agree that it just to time consuming. I couldn't see were it would pay enough to make it worth your while.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I agree, it seems like someone could buy dice already made (in China?) for far less than what we would have to charge for all that labor time.I would also consider it a terrible waste of time even if you get a decent price, and have a minimum wage employee to do the turning.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Just for grins a giggles I Googled buy 10000 dice , $539 wholesale. Hey buy then and then sell them to your client for a 1000$
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

@bert : My client doesn't want normal "dot" dice. Each face must be engraved with different symbol. I'm sure that even the chinese price won't be as low as the one you found !

Related to our discussion, it seems that this firm manage to do something with their orders : http://q-workshop.com/customdice
    Maybe i'll try to contact them to learn their secret ! ^^ (i'm optimistic !)

Bonjour Philippe

Q-workshop use Galvo lasers, even turning a single set of dice by hand with the speed of a Galvo makes it profitable.

I've done quite a few custom dice but it sure gets tedious after the first 1,000 or so

cheers

dave
    You did what !

I didn't know what Galvo laser were before your post, Dave, it seems to be a really great machine !

I'll try the manual dice turning on this order and refuse the next ones if it's too tedious.

Does someone have some insight on managing the jigs placement between the batches ? I know that they are some very small offsets in X & Y in start position when I burn the same projects multiple times. (immediate mode or not)
    Theses dice are very small and i don't want to take the risk of missing the last face after all theses manual actions !

I would use a pin register system. I would mount a base in the laser and cut 2 holes in it then I would use the same 2 holes in each of my blank jigs pin it and cut the die openings.

Does anybody think that a laser is not the way to do this job?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Does anybody think that a laser is not the way to do this job?
    What do you suggest?

I think the first couple of posts we decided this was not the best way to do this job. I mean seriously, even if he had a super large bed size and could place a 1000 at a time in it, just the time involved to place all of them in then turn them 6 times and do that 10 times, and don't forget you have to buy material to build the jigs.
    How much could you possibly charge for a job like that? Personally I don't know if a dollar per die would be enough.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I aligned myself on Chessex (a dice manufacturer) for this order. The price is "by custom face number".

Pricing:
    10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
    26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
    100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
    200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
    500-999 dice: $0.42 per side
    1000+: please ask for quotes
    My bed size is 90x120 so i could manage batches of 5000 dices approximatively.

I wouldn't discount it's feasibility too quickly. A couple times a year, we do some small items in high quantity. I think the most we ever did was 22,000 of them at one time. My fixture holds about 325 of them at a time, but I could easily make a bigger fixture to hold many more. I have 4 fixtures, it takes 3 minutes to run 325 of them, 12 minutes to unload and load a new fixture, and we use 3 people to keep it running. We've calculated it every time we've run it and we're billing close to $400 per hour for the work.

I'd take all these dice I could get for .42 cents per side. I'd even go into the dice making business for that price I suspect you'd do quite well. I'd suspect you'd have about 8 seconds a side on the engraving, when done in mass.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.