Thread: Gluing Time

Gluing Time

If one glues a waste block with Titebond II to the bottom of some kiln dried wood to make a bowl, how long for clamping and how long until you can turn it? Both surfaces are very flat. We all say overnight, but is it 2 hours or 8 hours?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Greg Just; 01-22-2011 at 1:41 PM. Reason: additional info

Perhaps you should ask your insurance agent :-) Really, it depends on a lot of things. What glue are you using? How big is the waste block? Is the joint nice and flat or are there gaps to fill? I would only try to turn quickly if I had a very flat glue joint on a well balance blank over a small diameter block (i.e. one that just fit my chuck), and using quick set epoxy. Even then, I would stay out of the line of fire as much as possible. Then I would probably say, forget it and do something else until tomorrow.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

yeah, titebond usually 'sets' in about an hour ... but putting the joint under stress in the first day is kinda risky. I typically allow any glue joint to set up overnight before I put any stresses on it.

Just went down and grabbed my bottle and it says to clamp for 30 minutes but not to stress the joint for 24 hours.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!