Thread: My New Shop!

My New Shop!

So introductions first. I'm new to the forums and just got back into woodworking. I did a lot of woodworking growing up with my father through 4-H. Now I actually have the money to setup my own wood shop. My father's is about 6hrs away, so really haven't had access to one for quite some time.

Anyway started out by having a third stall garage installed on our house this summer 14'x37'. There were lots of little issues along the way dealing with property lines and what not, but got through all of that. Got all electrical work done, insulation, and drywall. I did almost all of it myself. Next go around I will probably will just hire someone out to do the drywall. If you take account of my time and the quality of work I did on it, I would have come out ahead just hiring someone. Mudding is just something I don't do enough of to become good at.

Anyway so here is a Sketchup picture of the projected finished shop. Not huge, but with proper space management I should be able to do everything I want in here.

Shop.jpg

Here is the most recent addition. Grizzly G0440 cyclone dust collector. Just installed it yesterday. Had a few hickups trying to get it to turn on. But some how through the course of testing out all the circuits in the Mag Switch something decided to give me a break and it just started to work. Still have absolute no clue what I did, but hey it turns off and on perfectly now.

IMG_0446.jpgIMG_0447.jpg

I have the S&D PVC all ordered to start plumbing the DC system, so hopefully next week I will be hanging pipe.

My first project will be creating a movable assembly table for the shop.

Assembly Bench1.jpgAssembly Bench2.jpgAssembly Bench3.jpg

So I'm now pretty pumped that I can start actually building some furniture!

Brian

Looks like you're off to a great start for your shop. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Mike

Garages are so much better without cars. Congrats - look forward to seeing your shop's evolution!

Hi Brian and Welcome!

Yeah, hanging that G0440 is alot of ....ummmmm...fun, eh? I about killed myself hanging that motor! Congrats on the shop and keep the photos coming!

Congrats! Is that metal shroud around the DC filter the way it came? Or is it an option? Homemade? Must be something new.

You're off to a good start!

Having that nice CAD model does wonders to help envision how things will be. Nice job!

Regarding the workbench....
    The only critique that I can offer is that I would make the workbench top from several sheets (maybe 4?) of 3/4" MDF instead of the method you show which, I admit, is commonly recommended. The MDF would be banded with a softwood edge so bumping it won't damage your project. It would also have a sacraficial 1/4" hardboard top surface that can readily be replaced after it's beat up.

If you do go the multi-layer MDF approach, I would recommend adding more stretchers along the top edge of the carcass which are tied into the front and rear frame of the cabinet via pocket screws or toe-nailed screws. Each MDF sheet would be glue and screwed with 1 1/4" drywall screws 6" apart. After each layer is installed, run a flush trim router bit to index everything to the first MDF panel.

In the end, you will have a tool bench that feels rock solid (due to the weight) and can thru bolt many benctop tools to it, (e.g., small benchtop lathe, mortiser, etc.). And, due to its shear thickness and stretcher support, it will remain flat. It will also accomodate a vise and bench dogs quite nicely.

Just a thought! Please keep us informed on the Shop's progress.

Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Blog Entries
    Looking good Brian. I mounted my G0440 in that same configuration to save space and it has worked out great. Remember your floor may be uneven (or sloped if it is a garage). Your torsion box will want to resist racking whereas your supporting cabinet and all the weight in the drawers will seek gravity ;-) I keep a shim-pak in a coffee can in the shop and just shim any uneven issues (3 wheels touching and 1 spinning) while working in a given spot. When I move I adjust the shim or toss them back in the can for the rare level spots in the shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the kind words! Randy that G0440 was fun to put up. My brother got the pleasure of helping me, although I did reward him with some pizza afterward.

Rick the filter came with the metal shroud. It must be a new thing as it didn't look that way in the catalog, we'll see how will it works. Just seems like it would restrict some of the airflow, but couldn't really say without trying it for a while.

Jeffrey thanks for the critique on the table. I'm planning on putting a sacrificial 1/4" laminated top surface on top of the 1/2" MDF, just as you suggested. I'm probably gong to go with the torsion style simply because I need a reason to buy a dado set. Not the best of reasons, but any reason to get more tools when your starting a shop is good in my opinion. The top and bottom MDF I will be using a flush trim router bit like you suggested.

Glenn shimming was one of my concerns, but I just plan on doing as you suggested using shims under the wheels. I was debating making the wheels adjustable, but decided it was just as easy to use some paper or wood to shim the wheels.

Brian, welcome to SMC. Congratulations on your new shop. Your new DC looks great.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps