Thread: Cyclone separator plans

Cyclone separator plans

Many, many years ago one of the wood workers type magazine published plans on how to build a cyclone separator. It included drawing on cutting the sheet metal. I saved it for years but due to a fire it was lost. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the plans or new plans that may be out there?
    Cecil

Hello Cecil,
    I've got 2 issues of Wood magazine with those plans;
    November of '97 (issue 100)
    "Best Ever Workshops" (no real date, but a note in the corner says to diplay until 12/17/01; the cover has a guy in a blue plaid shirt screwing in hinges on a plex-front shop cabinet door)

Of those two, I'd choose the November '97 issue. There's more detail in the article and the plans look to be larger (I haven't removed either set to compare them).

You should also check out Bill Pentz's site:
    http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
    There's a ton of info to sift through, but if you really want to do a DIY cyclone, that's the place I'd start.

ETA: Here's another web page for you; the writer has documented his experience building a Pentz cyclone.
    http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/cyclone.htm
    Last edited by Jay Maiers; 01-23-2011 at 9:31 AM.

+1 on Bill Pentz' site. There's signs about (user feedback) that suggest that his cyclone layout while tall may be better on fine dust than the squatter commercial ones you see about...

On my Wood cyclone, I like to use dust bags rather than canisters. Because this design passes so many fines through, a canister quickly clogs. Rockler carries a 14" X 42", 1 micron bag for $28.99 (item # 63724.) Bag is basically self cleaning. Every time unit shuts off, bag colaspes and fines slake off. You will need to build a plenum box to hold bag. The scrap from your cyclone will furnish the needed sheet metal. I cut my pieces from one piece (3 X 8), 26 ga sheet metal. My cylinder is one piece and my cone is also one piece. PM me if you need more help.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-23-2011 at 10:04 PM.

I believe that this may be the plans you are looking for:
    http://www.woodstore.net/cycduscol.html

Have you considered a Thien trash can cyclone separator? I've got 2 and they simply work... (a Shop Vac sized unit, and a 55 gallon 5" ported model)...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Have you looked at the ones from the Heavy Duty Store.com?? They sell them for just over $200 with free shipping.
    The ones I have work great!!
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

The first published DIY plans were in Woodsmith Magazine. Then the guy who did the plans moved to Wood Magazine. Wood did two articles the second was with some changes and upgrades.

Here is how you can get the info and plans:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/ideas/wo...hop-3/?page=13
    Howie.........

+1 on the Thein units...I own a 4" one which I have mounted to a 32 gallon can, works great, and you can't be the price! Also +1 on Bill's site, before my Thein I build one with Bills plans and they work great as well.
    Building a New Shop...