Thread: Not to drag up an old thread but I had to redo my router table DC.

Not to drag up an old thread but I had to redo my router table DC.

I post about how I had made my DC on the router table and it has worked out very well until now.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...router-cabinet

I got a new lift and it would not fit the old DC set up I had.

So today I redid the whole thing, I took this opportunity to redesign it a little and it works just as good if not a little better then the older one. I still get some of the larger chips in the bottom but there is NO dust.

The new one is tighter around the lift and it is made like a box and it is bolted to the underside of the router table, Jessem had some pre-drilled and tapped hole so it made it easy to bolt it on. I made the port smaller in the back where the hose connects, this keeps the dust from building up in the corners.

I took the router table off the base and turned it upside down which made it much easier to work on and get everything lined up.

P1245290.jpg P1245294.jpg P1245296.jpg

Blog Entries
    Ah, the evolution continues. Very slick Bill. That oughta focus "the force" right where you want it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A Man's gotta Do what a Man's gotta Do! Enjoy your new lift Bill!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Good dust shroud! Added link to "the Dust Hood / Shroud thread"
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I had re-do my router table too. Based it on the design shown in the Kreg video using pocket screws. Similar idea of dust collection to what you showed, but I learned that the outlet for my 4" dust tube is best located nearest the bottom edge of the floor under the router. The dust normally collects on the floor. The design should be so the air flow comes across the floor towards the outlet tube. If the tube is higher than the floor, there is a buildup of dust on the floor, and thus I place the bottom edge of my outlet tube at the same level as the floor. Works better than before when I put the outlet tube in the middle of the space. I now have hardly any dust in the area beneath the router, whereas before it would collect in the corners.

Nice job, Bill. Where is your dust collector port in relation to the port in your lift enclosure? Are you using a shop vac or a DC for dust collection? I will be building a router table soon so I appreciate you sharing your design and experience. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stoops View Post
    Nice job, Bill. Where is your dust collector port in relation to the port in your lift enclosure? Are you using a shop vac or a DC for dust collection? I will be building a router table soon so I appreciate you sharing your design and experience. Thanks.
    It is kind of in the middle of the opening, You can see it better here.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/router_dc

Yes I am using a shop vac that is under the table cabinet.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 01-25-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I had re-do my router table too. Based it on the design shown in the Kreg video using pocket screws. Similar idea of dust collection to what you showed, but I learned that the outlet for my 4" dust tube is best located nearest the bottom edge of the floor under the router. The dust normally collects on the floor. The design should be so the air flow comes across the floor towards the outlet tube. If the tube is higher than the floor, there is a buildup of dust on the floor, and thus I place the bottom edge of my outlet tube at the same level as the floor. Works better than before when I put the outlet tube in the middle of the space. I now have hardly any dust in the area beneath the router, whereas before it would collect in the corners.
    With mine the output is in the cover around the router lift, the intake is at the bottom of main opening of the router table. I did not want any dust to get around the intake of the router motor or the switch in my case with the Bosch router switch problem.
    You can see my whole setup here.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/router_dc

Blog Entries
    This router table is, to some degree, built around dust collection. From the November 1998 Wood magazine plans. The table top dust collection is simply routed via 2.5" hose back into the bottom which acts as a plenum. After the pic was taken, I added a 3/8" x 4" long slot opposite the 4" outlet to sweep air across the bottom to keep it clean. Seems like most of the dust is caught by the Freud hood at the rear of the bit. Sorry the Woodpecker lift is blocked by my shopbuilt sled in the second photo.

Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-26-2011 at 9:16 AM.