Thread: How long does it take to take to lay down a coat of floor epoxy?

How long does it take to take to lay down a coat of floor epoxy?

The reason I ask is that the FWW (winter 2008-2009) article says you've got 2 1/2 hours, once the mix is ready, to lay it down. Is this enough time to cut in the edge and roll it out in sections for a three car garage (690 sq ft)?

Just want to be on the safe side

Dave

Yes, no sweat. The time is in the prep, actually rolling out takes maybe an hour at most. Tape the walls, very little cutting in should be needed.

It really depends on the epoxy you are using. The 100% solids epoxy sets up VERY fast. I used a 100% solids epoxy for my 2 stall garage and barely got it covered in the half hour window that it takes to set up. If I had to do it over again, I would have split it into two parts. It started getting really sticky and hard to work with at the end. Now, the more waterbased epoxies have a longer open time, possibly up to the 2-1/2 hours that you mentioned. I would just go by the recommendation listed on the product. Cutting in the edges takes time to make it look nice. Doing the middle with a roller goes pretty quick. Do your homework on the product you decide to use. The waterbased epoxies are cheaper and less durable than the 100% solids epoxies. I went with EpoxyMaster (ordered on the internet). Tony from EpoxyMaster is very helpful with any questions you have (he answer's the phone all the time). To me their CS is just top notch, and so is the product. And, no, I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

I did 8 gallons for my 2000 sq floor, the epoxy I used was not water based. The kits had 2 complete gallons to cover between 400-500 feet. For Each 2 gallon kit mix it, let it sit for 30 minutes then I had time to roll it on. I had plenty of time to roll it before it turned to sludge. I just poured it out in lines and rolled with a roller on a pole. I added sand and then spread the flakes, The epoxy I used did not cover very well so I ended up putting a clear coat on it. the clear coat one gallon did cover the same as 2 gallons of the epoxy. Note the 8 gallon did cover the full 2000 sq feet so I had to but an additional 2 gallon and will complete this is the spring. I did this floor when the temp was just above 50 so I may have had a bit more working time.
    I create videos on my channel TurningRound on youtube.

Shouldn't be a problem, I've done 2 different epoxy floors and have no issues with the 2.5 hour time. I think its a pretty conservative number, as I've had extra product in the pail last way more than 2.5 hours. Just be
    sure if you are using 2 kits to mix them together, a slight color varience is very noticable on a garage floor.

My wife and I coated my 960 sq ft (24'x40') shop/garage in a day. We did it in sections and took a break for lunch after doing 2/3s of the floor. It took three Quikrete sets that we bought at Lowe's. We bought the kind that can be tinted so that I could get a color other than tan or gray. I prepped the floor several days before we coated it. My wife did the cutting in and I rolled the rest plus applying the color flakes. Yes, I realize that I could have done a better job on the flakes, but the floor looks great.

DSC03822_2.jpg

As Jeff stated there can be a color variance between kits, but we didn't have any. It would have been impossible for us to mix all three kits together.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 01-24-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

David,

No sweat on the time, it's not a difficult. FYI, I've used the Quickcrete product from the borg; also, I've used quite a bit of Sherwin Williams. IMO, the Sherwin Williams far out performs the product from the borgs. It's a primer first, then the topcoat. Great stuff. Be sure to wear a good respirator.

Working time can be very minimal. Depends on product, temperature, humidity, direct sunlight vs in the shade, heat coming out of the concrete or earth underneath, etc. Easiest way is do all the prep 1 day. Next day, tape everything and cut in with a 4" brush while another helper rolls. With tape you can cut in very fast. I've used HD and Sherwin Williams. Both dried really fast. They all of a sudden start to get really tacky when your almost out of time. Both kits I've used barely covered the sqft they say they do so don't go to heavy in the beginning or go heavy in the traffic areas and save the less traveled areas for last. Buy extra. If you don't use it you can return it. If you need it you have it to finish the job. Rustoleum and Sherwin Williams are user friendly. Think I liked Sherwin Williams a little better as I recall.

I am planning to re-do one that I don't like the color. Will probably go with something more commercial grade with more solids and more color options. From what I read the ones you can tint are water base and water base is not as good.