Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Style Bed

Mission Style Bed

Of the small number of pieces of furniture that I've made, all have been painted projects so this was a first on many levels. This project was particularly meaningful as it was for our son and it meant the graduation from a toddler bed/crib to a big-boy double bed. In the months of building the bed, most of the time he was excited when I showed it to him but there were days where he said, "no, I don't want it!" So, not knowing what to expect exactly, tonight is his first night in the bed and since the lights went out, he's been sound asleep without a fuss. I think I have my answer, which is rewarding!

The bed is mission style and made of solid cherry with walnut accent plugs, along with poplar for the cleats and mattress slats. The construction was simple and straight forward but alot of attention to detail, which I enjoy--that must be the engineer in me talking! A majority of the joinery is mortise and tenon with the exception of biscuits for attaching the corbels and the cap rails. The bed hardware, which came from Rockler, was an adventure with mortising the hardware in for the bed rails. With a little ingenuity, alot of thinking, a ladder, a router, and a jig made the process about as straight forward as possible--just time consuming!

The finish is BLO, two washcoats of garnet shellac, followed by six wiping coats of Behlen's Rock Hard varnish. I learned very quickly that I know nothing about finishing and I have to thank my neighbor, Scott Holmes, for all of his help in opening my eyes to finishing and just scratching the surface to what's out there. Thanks, Scott!

It sounds like an acceptance speech but I'd like to thank John "Sarge" Thompson for being my unofficial mentor for several years now. He always shares his opinion, which I appreciate, extensive experience, and is always available and willing to answer my questions, regardless of how entry-level they may be. No other way to say it but thank you for your willingness to teach! Thanks, Sarge!

Any comments and criticisms are welcome!

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Brett,

This is excellent craftsmanship. I think you have a winner here. Great selection of wood. I think, by nature, this project has its own special reward. Building a bed for your son is a beautiful expression of love. Building a beautiful bed for your son is what you did. Congratulations.

BTW - Interesting finish process. I'm curious to know why you put shellac on after the boiled linseed oil. I always thought of shellac as a cell sealer.

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

Very nice job indeed Brett. You kept the plug high-lighting to a minimum which adds but doesn't take away over-all as we discussed privately. Nice job on the rounding over of the edges which is essential to safety. Especially since the piece is intented for children which seem to have one mode... full speed ahead and dam* the torpedoes. haha The finish looks great and obviously will look even better as the cherry darkens naturally over time. Just a well accomplished piece and especially for a first attempt. As you become experienced the need for attention to detail doesn't diminish. Detail is the difference in a good piece and an excellent piece.

More than happy to have assisted you via e-mail over the past 3 years. Passing along experience in WW'ing has been happening for over 5000 years and hopefully will continue to happen to insure a bright future in the hobby or profession. BTW... nice job of gene swapping as that young man in your lap is a fine specimen and hopefully he will follow your foot-steps in this craft.

Well done indeed...
    Last edited by John Thompson; 01-24-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Beautiful beautiful beautiful. That boy is going to enjoy that bed for sure. Good job. I was not aware you could shellac over linseed oil.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Brett, That is one fine bed. I like your choice of wood also. Your son will have that for a lot of years and yes dad made it. enjoy. Carl L. Goff

That bed looks great. I'm sure your son will get many years using it. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Arnott View Post
    Brett,
    BTW - Interesting finish process. I'm curious to know why you put shellac on after the boiled linseed oil. I always thought of shellac as a cell sealer.
    Ben
    Thanks to all-I appreciate the responses!

Ben & Joseph,
    The BLO was used to slightly pop the grain of the cherry and act as a slight colorant for a light amber color. With cherry being notorious for blotching, I was concerned that applying the BLO would magnify the blotchiness but with a very light coat (wipe on and off, almost immediately), it worked out pretty well. Then, the shellac, which was a garnet shellac, was to provide another layer of amber color while sealing and protecting the wood. After help from the finishing forum and even reading an article by Jeff Jewitt, this combination is very common in finishing, particularly for finishing cherry. There are differing opinions on how quickly you can topcoat BLO (as little as five minutes after application) but mine cured for several days, merely because I wasn't able to work on the project. I should add that I let all of the parts sunbathe for several days to help expedite the darkening process that is inherent with cherry. If time permitted, I would have left them out longer. Hope that helps!

Great job on a real nice piece of furniture Brett. The little details sure add to it.

Nice work. It looks great. Your boy will love it for years to come.

Nice bed. I'm about to start one myself for each of my 5 and 6 year olds. Not sure if it is something you want to do at this time, but if you cut a dovetail at the end of each support slat and then a corresponding dovetail mortise (?) in the top of the short rail, they will serve to keep the bed rails rigid and parallel. I can't tell if you screwed them down, but it wouldn't hurt to secure them somehow. I would have cut the dovetails before attaching the secondary rail, but if it is glued already, you could cut it with a chisel.

Don't have a pic, but if you don't follow, I could make a drawing.

Dan

Very nice work! I'm about to start a King size version of the same only out of QSWO.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Brett,
    Bed looks great..nice work. Your "little buddy" will have many restful nights and great memories of you because this piece of furniture certainly will become a family heirloom.
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Ed Gibbons
    Chatham, NJ

If you were never an expert on mortise and tenon joinery, you are now! Your son will sleep in style!
    Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Great job. I especially like the finish.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Great design and well done!!!! Your bed design is very similar to what I've been looking for to go in our master bedroom.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps