Thread: New used cyclone for me! but with questions!!

New used cyclone for me! but with questions!!

Well Ive been using the HF 2hp DC with trash can separater for yrs hoping someday to save up enough for cyclone. Last week I saw a cyclone in CL for $350. Emailed and found out it was a homemade one from the Wood Mag. Plans. Drove to look at it. Very well made with heavy guage sheet metal, 2hp 220 volt motor, 14 impeller, 6 in inlet/outlet, neutral vane added, and 2 canister filters with clean out box, and trash can. And it really sucks!!! I thought wow, this is nice for home made and bought it. He was upgradeing a bunch of equipment and wanted longer runs for DC. I finally got it set up this last weekend. I am just running running it with a single 6in line wyed off to 2 4in flex hose lines, 1 for TS and the other to move around to other machines. I found that when running planer, jointer that I am getting lots of chips in my cannister and clean out box, not fine dust. I think what is happening is the trash can gets about 3/4 full it starts sucking the chips into the filters. Does that sound right???? Is that normal for a cyclone?? Basically I will have to check the trash can quite often when collecting heavy chips from jointer and planer to empty it half full or so?
    Seems like a lot of frequent emptying to me. Is this the way the all cyclones work?

Thanks
    todd

Either the cyclone has poor separation efficiency or there's an air leak at the bottom where the chip barrel goes.

The connection to the chip barrel has to be airtight.

I doubt if you could get a garbage can to seal that tight, that's why they use a barrel with those band clamps on many cyclones.

Regards, Rod.

Rod is right, check your seal, but this is also why the cyclones built to Bill Pentz's plans have a longer funnel. Even with those (ClearVue) I have read about a lot of users having optical sensors to tell them when to empty as they often put the cyclone in a closet. . From what I've read the wood magazine design primarily separates solids and does not do a good job of DUST collection - it leaves that to the filters.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).