Thread: Basement Workshop With Steep Pitch

Basement Workshop With Steep Pitch

I am setting up a shop in an old house with a fairly good pitch on the floor towards the drain. Am just curious as to how others deal with this and maybe get some useful tips and what to avoid.

Mine is just like that. Only suggestion is lots of shims. My workbench is 76" long and the left legs are 3/4" longer than the right.

You could always build a floor on top of it. Rip 2x4s as needed to level it, fasten them to the present floor, then put a plywood layer on top of it.
    That will shorten the distance to the ceiling, but I've heard of people doing it. You could run electric at the same time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Use adjustable feet on your benches. Woodcraft or Rockler have some in there catalogs that seem a little more heavy duty than the stuff at HD.

Blog Entries
    I just leveled my old farmhouse kitchen floor just as Myk describes it above. Set a 2x4 from edge to edge in your room, set a compass to the width of the 2x4, scribe the contour of the floor onto the 2x4, cut the 2x4, fasten the 2x4 to the floor. Repeat every 16 inches, top with 3/4" subfloor. We went from a floor that would scatter spilled marbles, to a flat, level floor in one day (one really really hard day).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You could always build a floor on top of it. Rip 2x4s as needed to level it, fasten them to the present floor, then put a plywood layer on top of it.
    That will shorten the distance to the ceiling, but I've heard of people doing it. You could run electric at the same time.
    I would also put heavy plastic sheet down first to stop moisture coming thru the concrete
    insulate with rigid foam between the sleepers
    just some more info
    http://www.buildingscience.com/docum..._download/file

Adjustable feet levelers. I wouldn't build a floor, since in an 'old' house yr likely going to be height challenged to begin with. Even if the floor were level, adjustable feet is a nice to have anyway.