Thread: adhesive backed film

adhesive backed film

I have heard that this exists, but not sure where to look. It is a slightly tacky film that you can put over your project (image) that is made for lasers to prevent any discoloring, residue, etc. and pulls off easily. Does anyone know what it is called, or where to purchase it?
    Thank you!

Kimmy:
    First of all welcome to the forum! Great place here with lots of info and friendly people.

Most of us use what is called transfer tape. It can be purchased at any place that sells products for vinyl cutting and application. You don't say where you are so I can't point u to a specific source.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Transfer tape is usually a lightweight paper with an adhesive back. it is available in several measures of tackiness. Light or medium is what I'd use. Medium if you're working more with wood or buy both. Besides sign suppliers Johnson Plastics has it. It works best if you smooth it and press it out with a squeegee rather than your hand.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm in Hagerstown,MD and working with artwork dry mounted onto 1/4" plywood with images about 12" x 24" at the most. I would need to cover the whole thing.
    Last edited by Kimmy Armstrong; 02-28-2011 at 9:03 AM.

You can go to a sign supplier (wholesale) and get it cut to size---that's width.

It's not easy to apply in that size so a roller or other holder for the roll will be very handy.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You can buy it 12" wide. No need to have custom cut.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    If you're still unsure what you're looking for or want application tips, feel free to stop by... I do a bit of work from time to time for some people in the Hagerstown area.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5