Thread: Avoiding dust

Avoiding dust

I often engrave on different materials, but have problems with dust adhered around the engraved area afterwards. I simply can't seem to remove it or even suppress the dust while engraving.

I have tried to lightly wetting the surface of the material, engraving in the opposite direction, removing dust with masking tape, and all sorts of solutions. But to no avail.

Do you have similar problems? How do you fix this?

Best from
    Peter

Peter,

Assuming you are laser engraving, I suppose the obvious is to use paper transfer tape (available from the vinyl sign material suppliers) this comes in various widths and is cheap. The down side is removing the many little bits from between the letters etc after engraving but if you get the low tack stuff it rubs off relatively easily.

Paul.

If you wet the paper transfer tape after you engraved it , it comes off in seconds
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    If you wet the paper transfer tape after you engraved it , it comes off in seconds
    I wish it did Rodney. The latest stuff I bought is real waterproof.

Paul.

Blog Entries
    Peter,

What's your air assist situation like? A strong air assist will cut down on straggling dust bunnies...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You have to use the paper transfer tape, not the clear plastic (waterproof). I only use it for cutting. For engraving I have no trouble with dust since I discovered Sprayway Glass cleaner from Costco. I spray the material lightly and polish it dry and the dust doesn't stick. Don't ask me why or how. I discovered it by accident when cleaning a dusty piece of scrap material I was using for a small tag.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

For rastering air assist tends to make matters worse not better. It just spreads the residue more evenly.

Paper transfer tape helps. If that's not practical I put the job (usually name tags or small signs) into water and scrub them clean. Do not brush before putting them into the water. Naturally, I'm talking about plastics; if you are using wood then a finish on the wood before engraving helps immensely.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Perhaps someone could help me out here but I have been using the paper transfer tape for the application of vinyl signs for years now (not a big user about 2 to 3 rolls per year) and I have yet to find one that comes off in seconds when it has been made wet. (the vinyl signs are positioned with application fluid which is 90% water).
    The brand I am currently using is ‘perfect tear’ from Main Tape and if anyone can suggest another make or brand with water soluble adhesive that releases in seconds I would be most grateful as this would be just perfect for laser masking.

Paul.

Paul - how about doing a test where you would engrave first and without disturbing dust much apply transfer tape so it can pick up dust when you peel it off. Just a thought.

There is a new product at Laserbits in liquid form that is applied onto material and lasered through than washed off.
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 02-28-2011 at 2:15 PM.