Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metal Inlay in Wood

You sure found the hardest possible way to do it - but the end result looks great!
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

LOL .. yeah.. I don't start out with baby steps, I guess.
    I have another piece going right now, the logo has bands running
    through it that are only 0.010" so we'll see how that holds up.

Well , that is a design most small computerised type rotary engravers could cut with a V-bit , my small roland could churn em out - all you do to avoid seeing the bevel the V bit would make is flip the pieces and glue em in upside down.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

yes.. but what about the joy of playing with hazardous chemicals?

this one has some pretty small parts, and you can see the mis-regiatration
    if you look close. But under an epoxy coating it shows less.
    Still working on it though..
    jeffboxtop.jpg
    Last edited by Chuck Stone; 02-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Hi gang;
    The only way I would touch this job is by using some type of fill material, enlace, resin, gilders paste- a lot of options. Using cut metal pieces is asking for a lot of grief, not only in handling and placement but also in insuring a level final surface. If you are going to do it with metal, ask whether you can modify the design to have all the pieces joined (in the center?)
    Good Luck
    Best Regards;
    George
    Laserarts

There is something special about real metal inlays which lifts the result above anything that you can achieve with paint/gunge/Romark.

Chuck is well on the way to producing the sort of high quality (and hence high value) items which the rest of us are just simulating when we do it the "easy way".
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Hi gang;
    Not sure if Michael is referring to my previous post, but , in the event that he is, producing quality work does not necessarily mean pushing the bounds of practicality. Why not use gold, silver, or even platinum for a really top notch job? Not for 300 pieces and certainly not from an economic standpoint. Common sense should prevail and what the customer is willing to pay is the most important consideration. What is his budget for this?? tell me and I'll give you my opinion of the best way to do it. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use the best methods (the easy way) available to produce the best possible results within my customer's budget.
    Michael, if you weren't referring to my post-my apologies.
    Best Regards;
    George
    Laserarts

George , some customers want the "real thing" and will pay to get it, there is a perception that "real brass inlay" is more upmarket (and in fact its not a perception , it is more upmarket) than something ersatz.
    We get that a lot , the customer has made their mind up about what they want and nothing else will do- despite being able to get the same effect a lot cheaper - so they pay for doing it the difficult way
    That way they DO get what they want and we get more money.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

George, I'm sure the post was not intended to be a slight or anything. You have a market for your products and Chuck is experimenting in other areas. We all have to find a niche where we like the work and can (hopefully) make money doing it. Perhaps Chuck may find a market for precious metal inlay - in the jewelry box or cremation urn or high-end pen/pen box areas, or example. Maybe it is just something you would not be willing to do yourself but I think it is unique and has some potential. For your customers you are offering something they are happy with. So you are providing a quality product to your customers - something they want at a price they are comfortable with.

Quality means providing what the customer wants at the price he/she is willing to pay. If the customer does not have the money, then the customer cannot expect metal inlay. But if the customer wants metal, and has the budget for metal, then to me quality is providing metal inlay within the budget, not trying to convince the customer that something else (like metallized epoxy) would be just as good.

Finding the high-end customers can be difficult but there are some out there. If you don't wish to operate in that area that is a business decision but I wish Chuck well. I have been interested in etching and inlay for some time but have not actually done it - Chuck has given it a try with limited equipment and resources and it looks promising.

Some people engrave photos on marble and granite - I have not pursued that market because I can't find people willing to pay. But that's fine; if somebody else can make money in that niche I don't have a problem with that. Quite honestly, the more niche areas that people find, the better for everybody, as we are not all competing for the same work.
    Last edited by Richard Rumancik; 02-28-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling

I probably confused the issue by posting it in this thread instead of starting one..
    Apologies to all