Thread: Rust on planer outfeed roller

Rust on planer outfeed roller

I do have some rust on outfeed roller and its making dents in soft wood.
    Can I take it to a machine shop to turn it down just little or is it bad idea?
    Jaromir

I can't seem why not, most are adjustable to the cutting act over a certain range. I'd probably start with some fine sandpaper and mineralmspirits or wd-40 to take off the high spots before paying to have it machined to see if that fixes the problem. I did this to a planer at work after a coworker scored the steel out feed roller with a tapering jig by running it into the roller and grinding the screw heads off! Took a few minutes but I got rid of the ridges and no more dents in the wood.

Your rust must be really bad to consider having the outfeed re-machined! Disassemble the planer as last resort. The steel roller can be cleaned up by hand. I would use Carborundum cloth and WD-40.

Unplug the planer and wear leather gloves to protect your hands. Since most outfeeds have slight striations running the length of the roller, make your strokes lengthwise, not around. Work on the first spots first, then uniformly polish the head with long strokes over the entire roller by turning the cutterhead pulley by hand. A bit tedious, but sure beats reassembling a planer!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I removed the roller from planer and I am glad I did.There was no grease on bushings at all.I also removed infeed roller and no grease there.
    What grease should I use,or how do you lubricate the rolles.Its Powermatic PM15.
    Thank you.
    Jaromir