Thread: DC pics, ducting and blast gates

DC pics, ducting and blast gates

Thouight I would post some pics of the recent ducting (finally) of my cyclone (that I bought two years ago!). I made the blast gates from the design of Alan Shaffter (thanks Alan). I took off the old dust port doors on the jointer and table saw. I made a plywood cover for the openings, cut out hole for the pipe or coupling and glued the pipe in place with Gorilla glue. I did use screws at the vertical connections, but they were #4x 3/8", and with a washer under the head barely protrude to the inside. Shouldn't be an issue. I still need to make an adapter to connect under the band saw table, and a shroud to go around the back of the mitre saw (it sits on the bench where the hole is, when in use). I also need to shorten the hose to the planer. I left it long until I see where I need to move it to when I'm using it.
    DC duct 001 (1024x683).jpgDC duct 002 (1024x683).jpgDC duct 003 (1024x683).jpgDC duct 004 (1024x683).jpgDC duct 005 (1024x683).jpgDC duct 006 (1024x683).jpg
    The clear flex hose that I bought from Grizzly is very nice stuff, but it was a bear (ha!) to put on. I found that graphite powder was my friend. I cut longitudinal slits in a short pc of pipe to reduce the circumference, thereby making a pc that would slip into the original pipe and allow the flex to fit snuggly onto to split pc. This was done for both 6" and 4" flex.

And here is a pic showing that the shop isn't really cleaned up. I need to clean off this bench ASAP! It's been a collect-all for too long now.
    DC duct 007 (1024x683).jpg

Rick,

What does the connection to the cyclone look like?

Thanks,
    Jim

It looks great Rick.

Would you mind sharing how much it cost you and where purchased the 6" pvc?

I am setting up my DC now, and by that I mean painting it and building a Thein separator.
    But trying to find the best place to buy the pipe.

How about showing some close up pictures of the blast gates and how you made them. They look very nice and much better than the plastic ones that I have and hate.

Quote Originally Posted by james glenn View Post
    I got 6" ASTM 2729 PVC at John Deer Landscapes for $13/10 ft piece. Thet actually didn't have it locally but shipped it in from another store in MI and charged me only $15 for the shipping. They have all the connectors too. Find a location near you here http://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/s...Pro/search.asp
    Last edited by George Bregar; 01-28-2011 at 8:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    I got 6" ASTM 2729 PVC at John Deer Landscapes for $13/10 ft piece. The actually didn't have it locally but shipped it in from another store in MI ad charged me at $15 for the shipping. They have all the connectors too. Find a location near you here http://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/s...Pro/search.asp
    Thanks, I just sent an email to the closest one, and will call later when they open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    Rick,

What does the connection to the cyclone look like?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I used a Fernco adapter purchased at Lowe's. It fit over the cyclone 7" inlet and the 6" pipe fits into it. Clamps on each end.

Quote Originally Posted by james glenn View Post
    It looks great Rick.

I am setting up my DC now, and by that I mean painting it and building a Thein separator.
    But trying to find the best place to buy the pipe.
    Most of the fittings I purchased from McMaster Carr. The pipe I bought locally from a plumbing supplier (US Supply). The fittings are expensive most places, around $20+/-, the pipe was cheap at the local place <$13 for a ten ft pc. Shop around as the local place was very high for the fittings, cheaper for the pipe. I used astm2729, which is the thin non-perforated sewer and drain. Refer to it as thin wall sewer and drain as to not confuse whomever you ask about it. I didn't keep a total cost cuz I didn't want to be shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    How about showing some close up pictures of the blast gates and how you made them. They look very nice and much better than the plastic ones that I have and hate.
    I'll try to get you a pic later today. How I made them is exactly like Alan Shaffter did his. He shows his construction very well in this thread
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ate-Discussion

I got the laminate from a friend who has a millwork shop. He had tons of old stuff he was happy to give me. I chose the heavier stuff. I think it was 1/8". The handles are just homemade, pieces of 2X that I grooved for the laminate to slip into and glued on with Gorilla glue.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 01-28-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: laminate info

Looks like you spent plenty of quality time fabbing up your own blast gates and dust hoods. I really like your blast gates.. Hope it works as good as it looks!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Nice job!!

Thanks Alan. Couldn't have done it without you.
    For Larry, here's some closer pics of the blast gates. first three are one of the 4", fourth pic is one of the 6".

blast gates 001 (800x533).jpgblast gates 003 (800x533).jpgblast gates 002 (800x533).jpgblast gates 004 (800x533).jpg

as you can see in the second and third pics, I cut a pc of 4", slit it lengthwise and inserted it into the pipe pc to allow the flex hose to fit over it.The handles were just scrap pcs I had laying around.